Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection & adapter advice (not a technical question)

• Please log in to reply

lothiaz

lothiaz

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey need some advice. It's not anything to with any current techincal hiccups I have come across e.g. I can't find my router etc.

The place I might be moving to has a Netgear wireless router. I think it was this one. As the security bloke said it was a Netgear 108Mbps Wireless router. I checked on my mates laptop who lives there to see the transfer rate he was getting by going to ADSL Test. He was getting 2mb down and 300 (something, 364kb?) up.

But the thing is, currently where I live my internet is with BT and I have a BT wireless router of which I connect my 360 and PC straight into. I need to get a wireless PCI adapter for my PC for when I move to the new place (considering I won't be able to have a router in my room, the place has wireless there), but I'm not sure which one to get . Some are quite expensive e.g. £30 and some are quite alot cheaper. I really don't want to spend alot just for a darn wireless adapter, but I don't want it to be something that's insufficient.

If anyone can help us with some advice and links to some good wireless PCI adapters that would work with a Netgear router that would be great.

Another question. I don't want to fork out £50+ yet for a wireless adapter for my 360. So I was wondering (hopes this comes out right), would I be able to connect my 360 into my ethernet card in my PC via a ethernet crossover cable, have my PC with a wireless adapter so it can pick up the wireless internet signal, and thus my PC can use the internet and my 360 can use the internet for Xbox Live?

Lastly (phew! ). Since the router would not be in my room and connected to my PC, if I ever have port issues and thus would need to forward ports. Would I still be able to do it? If so how?

Help much appreciated, sorry for the lengthy read and all the questions!

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello lothiaz and welcome to G2G, :whistling:

The only thing to worry about when switching routers is that the router is 802.11G/B complaint and unless it was purchased more than a year or two ago, it will be. You do not have to match name brands with wireless cards and routers also.

Here are a few links to good cheap PCI cards: (In order from Best to Average)

As for the 360 I cannot honestly answer that question, because i have never tried to use it on an Internet Connection Share PC. If I were to give you the Microsoft answer I would say no it wont work, but if I were to give you an educated Network Tech guess I would say; I dont see why it wouldn't work, although you would most likely have to use a static IP.

One important thing to conside for the 360 is that the wireless receivers for them suck, if your a hardcore online gamer. If your router is located a ways away use a Linksys powerline adapter instead, as it is considered a wired network and is much faster, less prone for interferrence, and much much cheaper.

here is a link to them:

Powerline

and if you decide to purchase them, send me a pm and post a thread and i'll walk you through the setup for it. Its really easy.