Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Operating System Not Found

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Jeris
One thing that may help with your drive is if you can open the case and get the hard drive cooler and then transfer data over a network (i assume you have 2 computers)
If you put the drive in a desktop you should be able to recover all data if the drive spins. If you need help in this let me know
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hi Jeris
One thing that may help with your drive is if you can open the case and get the hard drive cooler and then transfer data over a network (i assume you have 2 computers)
If you put the drive in a desktop you should be able to recover all data if the drive spins. If you need help in this let me know
Cheers
Peterm

Hi Peterm,

Okay, I went out and got myself an enclosure from CompUSA for my drive. I took out the hard drive from the laptop and stuck it in, hooked everything up to my PC using the two USB cords supplied. I turned on my PC and went to My Computer, and although I see the drive(s) there--F: and G:--I cannot access it b/c the computer says that the drive is not formatted. "Format now?" I press no.

What next? =(

Jeris

PS should the person posting on this thread with their problem post a new thread? I'm getting confused.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok lets try dos
Start the computer start tapping F8 when the Menu pops up choose command prompt.
At the prompt type cd f: press enter
If the prompt changes to f:>
type dir press enter
Does this give a listing of the files in the drive.
Do you know if both drives are formated as NTFS or Fat32 ?
If this does not work then we will try a 98 boot disk to see if we can read the F/G drives. If not then we will try Linux to read the drives.
Cheers
Peterm

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Jeris:

I split the topic of the user who was posting his/her problem in your thread and the responses.

Thanks Peterm for the heads' up. :whistling:

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Ok lets try dos
Start the computer start tapping F8 when the Menu pops up choose command prompt.
At the prompt type cd f: press enter
If the prompt changes to f:>
type dir press enter
Does this give a listing of the files in the drive.
Do you know if both drives are formated as NTFS or Fat32 ?
If this does not work then we will try a 98 boot disk to see if we can read the F/G drives. If not then we will try Linux to read the drives.
Cheers
Peterm

Thanks Peterm for responding.

I have the hard drive from my laptop attached to my mom's PC. Just to be clear, you want me to keep the hard drive attached to the PC there and tap F8 on her keyboard when it boots up? If so, I will try that tomorrow and let you know.

Thank you so much for your help!

Jeris

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Jeris:

I split the topic of the user who was posting his/her problem in your thread and the responses.

Thanks Peterm for the heads' up. :whistling:

Thank you CoachWife6.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Jeris
Yes that is correct.
The idea is to see if we can access the drive from the command prompt.
Sorry for the delay my ISP was down
Cheers
Peterm

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Sorry for taking so long. I obviously don't have a computer now so it's quite cumbersome to go to my mom's house to borrow her ISP. Her ISP had issues too but thats resolved now. Thank you for your patience!

I'm testing my hard drive right now.

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Okay, so I connected the drive via the USB cables and hit F8.

I started the computer up in safe mode with command prompt.

Typed in cd f: and the drive letter did not change.

Did I do something wrong?

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Don't throw your drive in the freezer, forget that PLEASE! now if your drive was partitioned in C:\ and D:\ when you bought it then it means that one of those is a recovery console, probably D:\, dredginator is right, on the BIOS you should see an option to start the recovery console, mine is pressing f8, on a friends computer it's f10, it must be one of the f keys and not f1, probably f1 is to enter BIOS setup.

-OCM770-

P.S. my dad had a VAIO and it had the same problem, reformatting fixed it.

hey noob freezing the drive CAN work, many data recovery centers use this as a viable way to recover data from a drive that has physical issues

later geeks to go too many noobs for me

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
sorry to hear that deathninja, I'm sure we shall miss you. Anyone smart knows that everyone including the smartest person on earth (and deathninja) make mistakes. Don't "noob" me mister smart[bleep]

-OCM770-

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts

Okay, I went out and got myself an enclosure from CompUSA for my drive. I took out the hard drive from the laptop and stuck it in, hooked everything up to my PC using the two USB cords supplied. I turned on my PC and went to My Computer, and although I see the drive(s) there--F: and G:--I cannot access it b/c the computer says that the drive is not formatted. "Format now?" I press no.

Ok If I have this right when you start your mums computer with your hard drive attached
You check inside my computer and it shows your drive as drive F and drive G on her computer.
When you tried to access your drive from DOS it would not read the drive F did you also try to read Drive G ?
Also What operating system is on your mums computer is it XP or is it something else like 98 or Me.

Did you jumper your drive to be a slave drive (to be honest since it is via usb I am not 100% sure)
But when you hook a drive into a case you have to jumper the main drive as a master with slave and the other as a slave. Since it is showing up in my computer as F & G it should be ok.
So please see if you can read G if you have not tried that yet.

Edited by peterm, 30 November 2006 - 01:48 AM.

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

When you tried to access your drive from DOS it would not read the drive F did you also try to read Drive G ?
Also What operating system is on your mums computer is it XP or is it something else like 98 or Me.

Did you jumper your drive to be a slave drive (to be honest since it is via usb I am not 100% sure)
But when you hook a drive into a case you have to jumper the main drive as a master with slave and the other as a slave. Since it is showing up in my computer as F & G it should be ok.
So please see if you can read G if you have not tried that yet.

No It didnt access any other drive except for the C drive. I didnt try G because I tried F: D: and others and the prompt wouldnt change. I just figured G would not work, either. I will check this further tomorrow when I do go back home.

My mom's computer is WIN XP Home edition.

Jumper my drive? I'm sorry I do not know what you mean. I put the Hard Drive into the enclosure and hooked up the two USB cords (one for power i'm assuming) to the two usb ports on the front of the computer.

How does one jumper the drive to be a slave drive?

Thanks a lot, Peterm! I appreciate you helping me with this.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Jeris
You do know to change drives you just type in the drive letter and :
eg C:>g:
Your drive does show as F & G in your mums computer ?
did you say you had a desktop also or is that your mums you mean

Edited by peterm, 30 November 2006 - 02:17 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Sorry if I sound a bit odd but I want to make sure I am on the right track.
If you connect your drive to your mums computer I would expect your drive to show as E:
Your mums drive as C: her cd/dvd as D: your partition drive as E & F
not F and G as it is not normal to drop a drive letter.