Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart Problem

• Please log in to reply

Tranquilslogan

Tranquilslogan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
If anyone can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. Sometimes when I restart my computer it begins to start up reguarly and then goes to the POST screen which I believe is an ASUS thing. I get a message saying that my computer ran for an improper CPU speed. When I go through the process to start my computer it just runs without booting up. I have to power down and try over and over again sometimes. Yesterday I could not use my computer at all because of this. Any suggestions or other help would be great!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you get a message about the cpu being at an impropper speed?
have you done any over clocking on this computer?

boot into bios (usually by pressing f2 or del during bootup) and look for the option to load defaults...see if that resolves the issue...have you noticed your sytem time being incorrect lately?

Tranquilslogan

Tranquilslogan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah it said that the cpu was at an improper speed. I haven't overclocked it since im running a newer motherboard off the same processor. I haven't had problems with this until about a month or so ago so I don't know what it could be. I tried to press F2 at the start up but it still goes to this screen regardless.

Tranquilslogan

Tranquilslogan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
What should I do to prevent future problems?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so y ou took an old PROC and put it in a new MOBO? and you can't enter the bios setup?

unplug the pc from the wall and remove the CMOS battery from the MOBO (looks like a watch battery) with the pc still unplugged hold in the power button for 5 seconds or so...put the battery back in...plug the pc back into the wall and start it up...it may mantion that the time is wrong...see if you can get into the bios now and reset the clock...does the problem still continue?

Tranquilslogan

Tranquilslogan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
What I don't understand is why is is saying that the cpu hung for an improper speed? I put the old processor in a loooong time ago and its just acting up now. It seems to happen almost everytime I shut down the computer completely and try to start back up.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...there's a possibility that the cmos battery is going dead..which would cause some weird things with the bios...

Tranquilslogan

Tranquilslogan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Can i get a new battery from somewhere?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
anywhere that sells batteries.....have you tried my suggestions above at all?

Tranquilslogan

Tranquilslogan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm at work and it's my home computer, so I can't get to it but I will try once I get home. If it turns out that it is dying will this processes of removal of the battery show me?