Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BUMP

• Please log in to reply

ftl_speed

ftl_speed

• Pip
  • 4 posts
let's see if i can drag this subject out some more.

i have a new 400 Gig samsung Sata drive. i have the mobo drivers and can install them at windows setup. windows recognizes my drive at it's full potential and all the other partitions i have.

don't even ask how long it took me to get this far...

my problem is...

windows refuses to install on my sata drive unless i have a partition on my IDE drive.
i have a second HD for installation of another opperating system on my IDE.

i can and have installed windows to my sata drive but only if there is a partition on my ide. setup gives me the error of the drive does not contain a valid windows partition. if i make a partition on the ide drive, install to the sata drive, if i delete the ide partition i can't boot.

i could create a partition on the ide drive and hide it later but i shouldn't have to do that right?

is this a problem with pre-SP1 windows xp?

!!Note!! for anyone else viewing for same problem...
pressing F6 in windows setup does not launch right away into the driver install screen. is loads some more files before hand.
if you don't have a floppy someone else in this thread mentioned being able to get around this with a program called nlight.

Advertisements

ftl_speed

ftl_speed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
BUMP

ftl_speed

ftl_speed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
BUMP

ftl_speed

ftl_speed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
SATA drive problems
don't know why the title changed to bump but my peoblem is listed above. this was part of a thred i found previously