Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Host File Tweaking

• Please log in to reply

crudler

crudler

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi,

I have used the host file many times for various reasons but everytime I do it I use this syntax:

IPaddress name

i.e. :

165.165.165.133 Dev_svr

but now i want to point to something that doesn't have a static ip address (adsl). I have set up an account at no-ip.com (crudler.no-ip.com)

and if I ping crudler.no-ip.com it resolves the ip address perfectly.

why can I not use it in my host file

i.e.

crudler.no-ip.com Dev_svr

so now when i ping dev_svr i was hoping for my host file to point my pings to the no-ip address and that in turn to resolve the dynamic ip.

but every time i get the message:
Ping request could not find host dev_svr. Please check the name and try again.

and as a result the system I am trying to setup cannot resolve the correct ip address.

any ideas?

Thanks
Craig

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Because the Hosts file isn't designed for this type of use.

The whole idea behind no-ip.com is that if the server gets disconnected from the internet on a broadband connection, then when it reconnects again, it sends its new IP address to no-ip.com which then updates the IP entry for, in your case, crudler.no-ip.com so everybody can find it again. You don't need to do anything else, other than ensure that the server is connected to the internet with the no-ip.com software.

crudler

crudler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok, thats cool then. maybe there is a better solution.

basically my system is limited in poiting only to a machine name. cant change that. On a lan it works great. when i connect form home over adsl (port forwarded onto the correct lan machine) obviously it cant find that machine name. so i can use a host file to point it to the internet ip address, but that ip is only valid for a day and i have to keep changing the ip in my host file. ideally i want my machine to know that whenever it connects to dev_svr, i need it to point to whatever internet ip address my office's adsl router is on.

any ideas?
short of deving my own app that pings dev_svr, gets its ip and updates my host file, i dont know. thats a messy solution