Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D-Link Ethernet

• Please log in to reply

dannyf

dannyf

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I put the new card in my old 98 computer and it tells me to connect the WOL Cable but I can't find where to connect it? I want to connect to the internet through my new ATT DSL but it will only let me connect through my dial up. Is there something I have to do or do I have to get a new mother board so I can connect?
I am lost, please help.
Danny

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the WOL cable is for Wake On Lan capability with the NIC card...the instructions should tell you where to connect it to the NIC card...and you may have to find a manual for your motherboard to see where to connect it there...you SHOULD be able to disable wake on lan in the bios and/or the settings of the NIC card within windows which should make it stop asking about the WOL cable

dannyf

dannyf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't have any manuals for the computer so I am lost there. When I tried to change the setting for the bios it wouldn't let me, maybe I am doing something wrong. Please help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
model number of the ethernet card

and make and model of your pc

dannyf

dannyf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't know about computer but the D-Link is model DFE-530TX+ fast ethernet adapter for PCI bus with WOL

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.dlink.....20/ DFE-538TX
says the cable isn't neccessary (which i knew) have you tried completely removing the WOL cable from the card? i would assume by their description that this is possible...