Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Vista

• Please log in to reply

rman1788

rman1788

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi, I get 0xc0000142 when I start up Windows Vista. Which doesnt let me to use explorer.exe, So I have
to use the task manager to do everything.

Edited by rman1788, 16 October 2006 - 02:08 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rman1788...

Which build of Vista do you have installed?

wannabe1

rman1788

rman1788

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
the RC - 2

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you do an upgrade install? If so, from a previous beta or from XP?

rman1788

rman1788

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i did an upgrade from XP

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The problem with troubleshooting initialization problems in Vista is the lack of information available.

Doe this error occur when you are starting the machine or when starting other applications?

Click Start, then Run, and type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". In the left pane, expand (click the little triangle) "Windows Logs". Then click on "Application" and look in the right pane for any errors (shown as a red circle with a white ! in it) and list any you find here for me.

Then click on "System" in the left pane and look for any errors there. List any you find here for me.

Note: If you have no run option from the Start Menu, right click on the Start button and select "Properties". Under the "Start Menu" tab, click on the "Customize" button. Scroll down in the list and tick the box next to "Run command". "Apply" the change. This will add the run command to the Start Menu options.

rman1788

rman1788

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I get the error message when i start up Windows Vista. When the error appears, click ok to terminate it. Then the Screen just staying on a Blue Screen and doesnt load up the Start Menu or anything like that. But if I press CTR + ALT + DELETE i can go to File and then New Tasks(Run...). On the Bottom Right of my screen you can see only Windows Vista ™ RC 2 Evaluation Copy, Build 5744. And I dont know what to do.

Edited by rman1788, 16 October 2006 - 06:03 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Use the run command from task manager and grab me the event viewer information. It sounds like explorer doesn't want to open...we need to find out why.

rman1788

rman1788

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
how am i supposed to find the information?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete), click "File", and choose "New Task (Run)". Type eventvwr.msc in the text box and click "Ok". This should open the Event Viewer so you can get the information.

Advertisements

rman1788

rman1788

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok im in the EventViewer and in the Administrative Events. I can see a lot of Errors and Warnings. Is there a way for me to show you them?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you know how to do screen captures?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this...

Open Task Manager/New Task and type explorer.exe in the box...click "Ok".

What happens?

rman1788

rman1788

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
But theres alot of them. and no i dont know how to make a screen capture

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts