Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Live Update Install ERASED EVERYTHING

• Please log in to reply

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I first just completed a hijack this forum which took care of all the virus' on my computer and it was running better than ever. the only thing i could not figure out was why the live update wasnt working. everytime it asked if i wanted to download and install updates i would get an error message. our subscription is up to 2007 and i even checked out other FAQ's about it which directed me to reinstalling the life update from nortons website. even though i downloaded it, it woulndt install but the computer still worked fine. Unfortunatly i went on vacation and my mom decided to try and reinstall a couple versions of norton live update from the CDs. I come home to find that NOTHING works. I can boot it up and sign on to the user names. all the icons are there but they are blank and the only thing i can open is the computer management program under my computer. Firefox is the second program that will open but since i cnat connect to the internet its of no use. im on my laptop now. is there even any hope? does this even describe a problem? i dont really know what she did so i cant say how it happened.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Prehiatusphish
Lets hope that system restore is turned on
1.Click Start.

2.Point to All Programs.

3.Point to Accessories.

4.Point to System Tools.

5.Click System Restore.

6.Follow the instructions on the wizard.
Pick a time before mum tried to become a computer geek

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well this keeps getting stranger... i clicked to restore and it said i had to connect to the internet to go further.. i plugged in my network cable and it actually connected although i could find no indication of that since the task bar is empty and all. i knew it was connected because firefox (the only working program) connected and was able to be used fine. but i cant even bring up system restore or anything. is there a way i can restore before i boot up?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Try this is also gives a link on how to get to command prompt
But do not restore to when you had malware
Command prompt restore
This Should not want to connect to the internet to work if it does then I would go back to malware.
Connecting to the internet is NOT part of system restore.
Cheers
Peterm

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i cant even open a command prompt. i get a
This file does not hav e a program associated with it for performing this action. Creat an association in the folder options control panel.
whenever i try and run it.

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
my bad.. ok i opened it up in command prompt mode and when i type
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
i get system restore but the window is blank.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you sure your system is clean and mom has not got you in malware striffe again ?
Can you get to add remove programs in control panel

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
no nooo way. cant even get on the control pannel. she really only uses it for basic web pages..... i think. i hope to god it isnt any virus or maleware... i worked for days getting this comp clean. she claims she just installed updates and tried to get norton live update to work from the discs she had. who knows what happened.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok lets try a quick and easy
Restart the computer and start tapping F8 you should then get a screen with start up options.
Pick Last known good configuration.
Cheers
peterm

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yeaaaa i tried that... didnt do anything..

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
so what version of nortons are we trying to get rid of - they all have different methods
Do you have backups

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
we have norton 2005 and 2006. everything worked fine except liveupdate which is online for download but she tried using the discs instead. can i restore with the startup discs? will that erase all the saved documents?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok I think the 1st step is to try and remove Nortons.
If your computer still hooks to the internet

well this keeps getting stranger... i clicked to restore and it said i had to connect to the internet to go further.. i plugged in my network cable and it actually connected although i could find no indication of that since the task bar is empty and all. i knew it was connected because firefox (the only working program) connected and was able to be used fine

Download this program and lets see if we can run it in safe mode.
Remove Nortons
If you can't hook to the internet then try safe mode with networking and see if the internet works.
You need to see if you can use Internet explorer.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 17 October 2006 - 12:19 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you using Norton Internet Security?

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yea, norton internet security is on there somewhere.. we have used it forever. unless it was uninstalled eairler it has to stil be on there.