Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC crashes and reboots randomly!

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi guys, hoping you can help me with my problem here...

I bought a second hand PC and its been acting up ever since i first used it. It would randomly just reboot itself after doing nothing in particular. Once i was just surfing the web, then i was updating windows, another time I was installing a program, etc etc
It happens without fail everytime except you don't know when it comes, sometimes its 5 mins in, sometimes its 30mins.

There is an error report (windows has recovered from a serious error.....)
There seems to be a problem with 2 files, one of them is something to do with the minidump and I dont remember what the other file was.

I reinstalled windows, and it still crashes
It has a maxtor drive so I had a maxtor boot disk to find/fix bad sectors (it fixed one) - it still crashes
I've checked it properly (twice run over of the drive) and maxtor certified it was clear of faults - it still crashes

I'm sure its not the HD problem. I'm pretty sure something is going wrong elsewhere in the system. I'd be very grateful if any of you can help me!! I do need this PC pretty badly!

Thanks so much
DY

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi domyue...

There are a lot of things that can cause this behavior. Before we start asking for BSOD's, let's take a look at the temperatures.

Download SpeedFan and run it on the machine. Watch the temperatures and let me know what the highest temperatures you see are...hopefully somewhere near a reboot.

If you know how to do screenshots, it would be helpful to have a shot of SpeedFan (Readings tab selected) after the machine has run a while.

wannabe1

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks v much for a reply, I'll try this and get back to you!

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, the reading is below.
I have one fan for CPU and one for case, both are not amazing hardcore fans.

I see one of the readings is 55 (red flame) and before I took the screen shot, "Temp 2" was around 50.
Would a temp like 50 or 55 really cause a crash? I would have thought the cpu can do up to 60+ degrees...

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Reading.JPG

Edited by domyue, 18 October 2006 - 06:33 PM.