Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Before Startup

• Please log in to reply

woefullylost

woefullylost

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Let me first plead for forgiveness for my ignorance in almost anything to do with computers apart from turning them on, finding my way around, and a proficiency in internet usage. Because I have honestly no clue how this happened...

It started back recently after I'd first gotten the computer from my friends father. He works with computers and had wiped it clean beforehand, so I can conclude that whatever is happening is my own doing. I would start up my computer and randomly get blue screens shortly after startup. I conjectured that it had something to do with my MP3 player, as the trouble began shortly after I detached it from my computer. It was the first time the MP3 player had been charged in that computer, and it was therefore the only cause I could think of. So I began scouring the Dell website for answers. I found some, but nothing seemed to help. So I then turned to searching tech support forums. Eventually, I found solutions that worked and my computer's health seemed to return to solid ground and remained that way for several months.

Until yesterday...

I was talking to my friend online, and she started to complain of computer problems. I told her about my previous scarring BSOD episode and thanked God that I probably didn't have to deal with computer problems for awhile. Then she began saying "Knock on wood, Tiff! Knock on wood!"... and I did... but maybe I should have knocked harder...

My MSN had been acting up... randomly not letting me see one of my friends online. So I thought that maybe it would be wise to install an update. After the update, MSN wouldn't even let me sign on. Instead, it spent an hour saying "Signing In" with no end in sight. I decided to restart my computer in hopes that it would help... but upon start-up I was faced with a chilling reminder of computer problems past, for my screen was very much blue and very much indicating death. So I restarted my computer, and it didn't give me an error screen... but it bore the sense of a calm before a storm. Everything was running slowly and acting up slightly... and MSN still wouldn't sign in. When a message at the corner of my screen told me I had updates to install, I urged my computer to get them installed in hopes that it would stave off the impending BSOD attack. But the last I saw of my windows was a message telling me that the updates had finished and the computer needed to restart. And so I did... and I haven't seen Windows since.

Now, my computer boots up... but windows can't. Whenever the windows loading screen appears, a blue screen shortly follows.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF896C80C, 0xF896C508, 0xF83BD1FC)

*** Ntfs.sys - Address F83BD1FC base at F83B0000, DateStamp 41107eea"

And before this message -- while booting up the computer -- a screen comes up saying that the amount of physical memory has been changed, and then it gives me various windows start-up options.

I've tried to get into my computer via safe mode, but the same thing occurs.

I run Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension Desktop. Either Dimension 8770, or 8110. I'm not sure of the numbers...

If there's any other helpful specfications I can give, just please let me know and let me know how to find that information without having to enter Windows.

And my apologies for how lengthy this is. I'm prone to rambling...

Thank you in advance,
Tiffany

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi woefullylost! ( aka Tiff :whistling: )

And before this message -- while booting up the computer -- a screen comes up saying that the amount of physical memory has been changed, and then it gives me various windows start-up options.

From this information provided, it would seem to me that maybe one of the memory sticks in your computer may be damaged. Can you please right click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears, make sure the GENERAL tab is selected You should see something like:

Computer:
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor
3500+
2.2GHz, 2.00GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

on that tab. What I would like you to tell me is what does it say for the amount of RAM you have in your computer. It is the information bolded in the example above.

Also, please check and verify what the exact model of your computer. You said it was some kind of Dell Dimension. It should say on the front what type it is. Look for writing around the power button on the front of the case, because I know with alot of Dell's they like to put the model there.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- Just realized you can't enter Windows, so forget about the right-clicking MY COMPUTER. Just please give me the model number.

Edited by Fenor, 16 October 2006 - 06:12 PM.

woefullylost

woefullylost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hmm... It appears to be a Dimenion B110? I'm not really familiar with models or how Dell makes their 8s and Bs, but I think that's what it says.

Many thanks for helping~

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
http://ai.pricegrabb...5838206_125.jpg

Is that what your computer looks like?

Fenor

woefullylost

woefullylost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yup~ That'd be it.

Edited by woefullylost, 16 October 2006 - 06:40 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Alright, since you can't enter Windows, we will have to send you into the computer's SETUP to see how much RAM (Physical Memory) it shows. Turn on your computer and immediately start hitting F2 about once every second. Don't hammer it.

Keep hitting it until you enter the SETUP/BIOS screen. Once there, look for MEMORY INFORMATION so that you can what it shows for the amount of Installed System Memory. It will be some numbers followed by MB, like 256MB or 128MB but doesn't have to be those numbers exactly. Also, please list what it says for System Memory Speed.

After you find that information, just push and hold the power button in until your system shuts off.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 16 October 2006 - 06:47 PM.

woefullylost

woefullylost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It says that the installed system memory is 768MB.

Ah! And System Memory speed is 333MHz. Sorry.

Edited by woefullylost, 16 October 2006 - 06:49 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, what I am going to have you do next is open the case and remove all of the memory sticks that are in there. For thing I want you to do is disconnect EVERYTHING (power cord, mouse, keyboard, network cable/phone cord, etc...) Then move the case somewhere so that you have more room to work, like on top of a table. Next thing I want you to do is to remove the side cover. To do this, make sure the front of the computer is facing you and then tip it on it's side to the right. Then remove the side panel. Might be screws you need to unscrew, but most likely you just need to squeeze together two black levers and the side panel should push out.

Let me know when you have the side panel off.

Fenor

woefullylost

woefullylost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright, the side panel is off, now.

Edited by woefullylost, 16 October 2006 - 07:05 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What I want you to do is remove all the memory sticks that are attached to the motherboard. Take a look HERE for how to remove them. Keep this page open as you will need to put them back in later.

Once you have them out, what I want you to do is look at the writing on each of the sticks and tell me what size they are and what speed they are. Remember the size of the memory will end in MB and the speed will end in MHz. Sometimes memory is listed a different way, like PC2700 or PC3200. List that if it displays that way.

If you can't figure out the size and speed of a memory stick, then just post the serial number and I will search for it and find out what size and speed it is.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 16 October 2006 - 07:09 PM.

Advertisements

woefullylost

woefullylost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
One says that it is 256MB and 400 MHz, and the other says that it is 512MB and 400MHz.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try putting in only the 512MB stick in DIMM3 slot. DIMM3 is the slot on the left. After you have done that, re-attach the side panel and hook everything back up to your computer and turn it on and see if you can get into Windows, or if you still receive that same error.

You should get the warning that the amount of system memory has changed, but that is okay since we have just changed the amount of memory from 768MB to 512MB. Accept the change in installed memory and allow the computer to continue booting.

If it doesn't boot up, then turn off the computer and remove the 512MB stick of memory and install the 256MB one in the same slot and see if Windows will boot up with that stick of memory in.

Fenor

woefullylost

woefullylost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The 512MB stick caused no change and when I tried to turn on the computer with only the 256MB stick installed, my computer started making long beeping noises and did nothing further. Did I maybe install them in the wrong slot?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Were the beeps in the form of one long beep, three short beeps and then another long beep when you had the 256MB stick installed?

Also make sure you pushed the memory stick in all the way.

Fenor

woefullylost

woefullylost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It was moreso like three beeps of even space and length, then a short pause, then two beeps of the same space and length as before.

And now that I've adjusted the memory stick, it's acting peculiar. My monitor isn't responding and when I turned on the tower, it lit up yellow instead of green, and the second time it didn't light up at all apart from when the button was pushed.