Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfer files to new computer?

• Please log in to reply

mlcrrc

mlcrrc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just purchased a new computer. Some of the programs on my old computer do not have the original cd-rom disk. How can I transfer the programs over to my new computer?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you rarely can...most programs copy files all over the harddrive, add registry settings, drop initialization files, adjust the startup files.

I know that is not the answer you want to hear.

On rare occassion, you can accomplish it, but it great depends on the program and is an arduous process.

Some programs retain a setup file in the program directory, so simply copying the PROGRAM FILES\??? folder over, it will work. Sometimes, dragging that folder over and clicking a *.reg file will do it. Sometimes, doing the above, try to run the program will result in error messages like "Could not find ????.dll in c:\windows" and dragging that file to a like folder on the new computer will do it.

But it is a crapshoot.