Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer doesnt power up

• Please log in to reply

Rich772005

Rich772005

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My new computer will not turn on. When I press the power button the power flashes on for a second and then turns off. I have verified all the power connections and they look correct. My hardware configuration is as follows:
Soltek Socket 754 Mainbord
AMD Athlon 3200+ with heatsink & fan
A350 ATX Power Supply
Radeon 9600xt video card
512 MB RAM

Please help......

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Make sure all mobo jumpers are set correctly especially the clears cmos jumper, make sure it is set to pin1&2 and not pin 2&3.

Make sure the 4 pin 12v connector from the psu to the mobo is connected

What name brand is the power supply (psu) and could you list the amps on the 12,3.3 and 5v rails it sould be list on a decal on the side of the psu.
I think amd recommends at least 24 amps on the 12v rail and depending on the brand I don't think a 350w will have that.

You could also for a test remove the psu from the case and plug into the wall outlet then on the 20 pin connector touch the green wirer and any black wirer with a paper clip this will turn on the psu. This will at least tell you the psu turns on but does not mean that it is good or adequate for the system.

There are other things to test but post back your findings on the above first.

Rick

Jammybee

Jammybee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, not exactly the same as my comp has been happily going for 1.5 years, just today the pwoer just cut out. I tried changing plugs/cables and alsorts to no luck. I thought it might have jsut died as it is a cheap psu, I borrowed a spare psu and it powered on fine. however the same thing happened to the new one. The power light does flash on and there is a light on the mobo.

specs are:

athlon 2800+
asus a7v600
1024 mb ddr ram (generic)
2x 80gb seagate drives
windows xp
radeon 9800pro
q-tec 350w psu (nasty i know, am getting a better one but want to make sure it wont blow like the last two)

cheers for any help.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
jammybee,

I would check the voltage at the power outlet in your home to make sure the voltage is correct, if you live in the US it should be 110 to 120v

I would consider purchasing a upc (uninteruptable power supply) in addition to a name brand 400w or better psu, I recomend Antec 430w true.

The upc will clean up the power before it gets to the pc, it is a excellent surge protector, protects against under and over voltage even small amounts and in the event of a power loss will power the pc and shut it down properly even if unattended.

Rick

Jammybee

Jammybee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Doby i will give it a shot. I live in the UK so the voltage is 230-240v. I will get a UPC, been planning on it for a while anyway. The electrics in my flat are dodgy at best.

Rich772005

Rich772005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Doby, I'll check the jumper settings and the amps on the power supply

Rich772005

Rich772005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Doby, the jumper settings are correctly set....still the same symptoms.
My psu is a Turbolink, model LC - A350ATX; 12v - 12A, 3.3 - 24A, 5 - 35A.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Rich772005,

You are going to need a new psu, most users are reporting that you should have at least 20a on the 12v rail for AMD 64 systems you have 12a I think amd recomends at least 18A.

I am not positive this will fix your problem but you must start with a new psu, I recomend a Antec 480w true series or a Ulta XConnect 500w, the ultra is of modular cabe design witch means you can plug only the cables in you need. The cables are also sleeved so this helps with clutter and airflow.

Get your new psu installed and hopefully your problem will be fixed, if not post back.

Rick

Rich772005

Rich772005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz:
AAAHHH!
I bought a new PSU and installed it. I still show the same symptoms. The PSU is an Aspire ATX - MR500W model. I'm really upset about it! Can anyone help?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Rich,

You needed a new psu anyway the other just did not have the amps to run the system so,

Remove the mobo from the case and place on a piece of cardboard, remove all cards except the video card, remove all drives.

Have only the following components installed- cpu with hsf, 1 stick of ram in the proper dimm, video card, psu, case speaker, case switch, monitor,keyboard and mouse.

Verify the case switch and power on switch is connected properly
Verify the cpu fan is connected to the proper header on the mobo
Verify all jumpers are in the correct position
Clear the cmos
After cmos clear verify that the cmos jumper is back on pins 1&2
Verify the 4 pin 12v connector from the psu to mobo is pluged in

Power on and post back your results and note any beeps.

Rick