Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installation / Task manager freezes

• Please log in to reply

Thizzia

Thizzia

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I restored my pc last night and for some reason like if im using a program like firefox or whatever if I try to open task manager it doesnt open. It shows the icon in the tray but wont open. Then if I try to open it clicking that icon on my tray then my connection freezes and some programs start working unstable, and I can't open the task manager from there. What could be wrong with it?
Also
Every time I Install a new program or attempt to install windows updates, the setup/installation program just
freezes and does not commence at all.
This often happens just as the setup/install program is initiallising or in some cases in the middle of the installation progress.

This seems to happen when I'm connected to the internet or using firefox or IE.
I didn't have this problem before restoring my pc.
This happended too before I installed my antivirus and firewall, so I guess those programs are not guilty.

I have Windows XP sp1 with Bitdefender antivirus & firewall and a ADSL connection.
I searched for spyware and cleaned it all with adaware, ewido and spybot.
512mb of memory, pentium IV -

Please help this is driving me crazy :blink:
thanks"!! :whistling:

PS: excuse my englsih please:

Edited by Thizzia, 17 October 2006 - 02:24 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi welcome tho geekstogo
questions:
- by restore, you mean system restore or restore disk
- does the same thing happen if you are in "safe mode with internet"
- what device for the connection to the internet,

Thizzia

Thizzia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

hi welcome tho geekstogo
questions:
- by restore, you mean system restore or restore disk
- does the same thing happen if you are in "safe mode with internet"
- what device for the connection to the internet,

Hi! and thanks

I installed again Win XP using fdisk and format. - I have 3 partitions, Win XP home edition in one of them and Win xp in another, in both SO I have the same problem

Can't use internet on safe mode, theres no connection icon or even modem available.

I use a Adsl usb modem - Huawei smartax mt810, wich is the same one I used before reinstalling, and worked fine.

Some more info:

Can't install programs - while - connected to the internet- install will freeze.
My connection icon and sometimes all the system tray will freeze randombly, and connection will die. Then , I have to reboot cause ctr-alt-del won't show up.

When I can reboot, it says that "connections tray" cannot close, so I click finalize now (sorry I have a spanish Xp so I don't know the correct term translation)

Connection dies if I don't use it right away (this happens sometimes not always).

edit: I noticed that once connected when I try to open .rar or .zip files with wwinrar, the right click menu won't appear.... how strange!! I can only open these files from File > open!
Well that is for now...
hope you can help me :whistling:

Edited by Thizzia, 17 October 2006 - 05:06 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am fairly stumped by this one, sorry to be asking silly things now
- this is exactly the same configuration as before the clean install
- model of computer
- drivers are all ok
- which os did you install first

Thizzia

Thizzia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi

One thing I discovered now: If I open the task manager before conecting to the internet, and if i keep it openede but minimized all time, connection and system try won't freeze. BUT I still cannot install programs while connected.

Yes, thiis is the same configuration than before.
I have a Compaq 5030 pentium IV 1.7
I suppose drivers are ok? how can I know wich is the correct driver for the network card? is this important? I'm not sure if installed the right one for this card.

WIn XP home edition was installed first (C:) and Pro second (E:)

:whistling:

Thizzia

Thizzia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is this topic closed now?

Please help me :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
not dead, I don't give up but I don't have a good idea yet

Edited by fleamailman, 19 October 2006 - 03:58 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hey, and welcome to the horrifiing wolrd of spanish XP, i own a spanish version, home, but that doesn't matter, back to your deal and sorry for the delay.

What happens if you open Task Manager BEFORE connecting and then connect, try to install something and see what the task manager says, does it freeze?Does it say your program is not responding?Can you connect on a 56kbps, (only if you have the ISP provider for it).?

-OCM770-

Thizzia

Thizzia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
HI!

If I open the task manager before connecting to the internet, and keep it opened all the time, connection won't freeze, system tray connection icon won't freeze BUT I still cannot install programs.

I looked for something weird on the task manager, but everything is ok.
My computer is free of malware or spyware, I posted my hijathis log on several forums and cleaned it up everything.

Another weird thing I notice today is that sometimes, IE cannot surf the net, it just keeps waiting and nothing happens, and.. sometimes it does works fine. I noticed this today mostly beacuse I don't use IE.

It seems that I cannot use IE while using Firefox at the same time...

I'm planning on formating... but will this work? i'm not sure if this is something to do with Windows or is it some kind of hardware malfunction... Not sure. Everything was just smooth before formatting my pc and now this :help:

I'm just lost... :blink:
Thnaks for your patience!!! :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
if you formatted and this is the result then I imagine that this will be the result again if you reformat now

let me talk to myself
- it is not malware because you have newly reinstalled the os
- it is not ram because it is the same amount of ram as before
- you have reinstall all the drivers checking in devmgmt.msc
- you have not told me how you have modified the computer from the original state below, for example, each XP install takes 1.5gb meaning that the computer is very overloaded if it is still only 6gb harddrive, also ram would work very poorly under those spces, are you sure this is the computer you mention

Product Details
Key Features
Form Factor Mini Tower
Processor Intel Pentium II 300 MHz
Installed Memory 64 MB (SDRAM)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
Recommended Use Home Use
Processor
Processor Type Intel Pentium II
Processor Speed 300 MHz
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Max Processors Qty. 1
Motherboard
Bus Speed 66 MHz
Video Output Interface AGP 2x
Memory
RAM Technology SDRAM
Installed RAM 64 MB
Max Supported RAM 256 MB
Installed Video Memory 4 MB
Installed Cache Memory 512 KB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive Capacity 4 GB
Hard Drive Interface DMA/ATA-33 (Ultra)
CD / DVD
Optical Drive Type CD-ROM
Optical Drive Read Speed 2x (DVD)
Other Drives
Floppy Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy
Audio / Video
Audio Output Type Sound Card
Max. Video Resolution 1280 x 1024
Modem
Modem Type Fax / Modem
Dimensions
Height 40.6 cm
Width 21.3 cm
Depth 32.7 cm
Weight 10.9 kg
Warranty
Warranty 1 Year
Miscellaneous
Exterior Color White
MPN 320502-033
Product ID 20842173

Thizzia

Thizzia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi

Could it be the fact that before format, I had only one OS and 3 partitions, and now I have two OS and 3 partitions?

I don't know what did you mean about those specs, my computer is a Compaq 5330us has pentium IV 1.7 512MB RAM - 65MB video - and 160gb hard disk :help: Windows XP Pro

cheers :)

edit: Sorry, i told you in another post that I had a compaq 5030, it was a typo :whistling: :blink:

Edited by Thizzia, 19 October 2006 - 06:39 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Yes, that is the difference, so that is the problem but I don't think it is the size of the os on your harddrive anymore but more likely that the two os's don't get on together, not only are the languages different but also XPhome and XPpro are different too, have to be honest with you here, uninstall XPpro if it is not a legal copy but uninstall XPhome if it is

Edited by fleamailman, 19 October 2006 - 07:11 PM.

Thizzia

Thizzia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
My two copies are legal :blink:. I will uninstall both tonight, and reinstall XP Pro. I will get back to you when I'm done to tell how it works, so we can close this subject.

thank you VERY much for your help!! :whistling:

Paula.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
looking forward to it, keeping fingers crossed