Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ctrl + N problem

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Whenever i open a new window with firefox, it loads up my homepage instead of the cureent page im surfing. Any idea how where i can configure this?

Thx

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That's because you have your default set to go to your home page in a new window. It's not going to the current page you're surfing unless you happen to go into Tools>Options and set that page as the default new window page by clicking "Use Current Pages" button. Doubt if you want that either.

Ron

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
still need help on this.. anyone plz?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Guess I don't know what your problem is if you didn't mention that you tried setting your browsing options under Tools>Options. You didn't say whether you looked and tried or what. Like feedback so I know what you've done or not done.

Again :

Click Tools, select Options in menu, click General icon and just select "Use Blank Page".

Then, click Advance icon and select "Tabbed Browsing" and make your selection under "Open Links from other applications in:" for how you want FF to respond. Also, select boxes for rest in this section to set characteristics you want for FF.

If this doesn't do it, I don't understand your question.

Ron

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ok wad u say i believe is for setting homepage.

What i meant was like lets say im surfing on this site.

http://www.geekstogo...lem-t13468.html

And when i want to open another new window, i pressed ctrl+N but the new page appears as my homepage, and not http://www.geekstogo...lem-t13468.html which i expect. That is not the case for IE, but for firefox, it is.

Hopefully u understood wad i meant =)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yes I understand what you mean, but did you follow my instructions? I use Firefox, too. Pressing Ctrl+n brings up my Home Page in a new window ONLY because I went into Tools>Options and set my Home Page as the URL in the "Location(s):" window. I could just as easily set the Option to use Blank Page and Ctrl+n would open a new window with nothing in it.

If you want to have a new window for a link, right-click and choose "Open Link in New Window" and it will open the URL in a new window. Ctrl+t will open a new tab without your Home Page, but it will not open the link. See FF's Help Contents and select Index and scroll down to Keyboard Short Cuts. Print them out for refernce as they cover FF, IE and Opera browsers.

Ron

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Hmm, ya i followed ur instructions but they arent wad im looking for tho =/

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Then I'll let someone else have a go at it, because I don't understand what you are looking for or want.

Ron

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ok np, thx tho