Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Upgrade - Compatibility Issue?

• Please log in to reply

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have a system running an Asus Tuwe-M motherboard, running a Celeron 1000mhz 'SL5XT', I want to upgrade to a Celeron 1.3Ghz 'SL5ZJ', but am no sure if the new CPU is compatible with the older motherboard. Asus seem totally useless in helping me with it, their website it useless. Nonetheless, the motherboard's manual states that the motherboard supports the following processors(taken from http://www.fujitsu-s...tuwem-101.pdf):
P III Tualitin 100/133Mhz FSB FC-PGA2
P III Coppermine 100/133Mhz FSB FC-PGA
Celeron 100/66Mhz FC-PGA

The old CPU's specification is as follows:
Processor type Intel Celeron
Processor core Coppermine-128
Part number 1000/128/100/1.75V
BX80526F1000128
BX80526F1000B
RB80526RY001128
Package 370-pin FC-PGA
Socket/Slot type Socket 370
Processor speed (MHz) 1000
Bus speed (MHz) 100
Clock multiplier 10
L2 cache size (KB) 128
Manufacturing technology (micron) 0.18
Core voltage (V) 1.75
Case/Junction temperature (°C) 75
Core stepping D0
CPUID 068Ah

Whereas the new CPU is as follows:
Processor type Intel Celeron
Processor core Tualatin-256
Part number BX80530F1300256
Package 370-pin FC-PGA2
Socket/Slot type Socket 370
Processor speed (MHz) 1300
Bus speed (MHz) 100
Clock multiplier 13
L2 cache size (KB) 256
Manufacturing technology (micron) 0.13
Core voltage (V) 1.5
Case/Junction temperature (°C) 71
Core stepping A1
CPUID 06B1h

I have put the new CPU into the system using the original fan/heatsink that came with the system, as did the original CPU. The system seems to be making much more noise, more like the resemblence of a motorbike than a PC. Is this because the CPU is incompatible with this system?

Any help would be gladly appreciated

Advertisements

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I looked into it a bit futher. The CPU temperature seems to be running at about 68/69C when I reboot the system into setup. According to Intel's website it should be running between an average of 60 and 80C. I'd like to lower it down though, because 69C seems pretty high considering I literally only had the computer running with zone alarm, avg and firefox running in memory, using firefox to access this forum. The CPU also makes a much louder revving-like noise during start up but once XP loads it quitens down a little, although it does still make a ridiculous sound. Can anyone advise me further? Thanks

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Based on the information you provided it seems it should work. You might want to get a better heat sink and fan for the new cpu to reduce your operating temps. A good resource for evaluating possible upgrades is http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp You can run their upgrade configurator and compare its results with what you are doing.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I went to the link you advised, they say their only upgrade for this system is for the Pentium 3 1.3ghz and 1.4ghz. I'm running a Celeron 1.4ghz. Not sure if there's much difference to be honest, but it's just for the sake of not having a processor blow up and knock all my hardware out.