Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i want efficient protection but i don't want a slower machine

• Please log in to reply

newONpc

newONpc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Greetings.
I'm new to all this.
I have suffered a virus or what-not that is being resolved in the "malware forum".
Before sending in my "highjack this" logfile, I downloaded so many programs I don't know what to keep anymore.
I have noticed slower performance (start up pf computer, opening websites etc)

Basics: I have windows XP with service pack 2. Auto-update selected.

Pertinent programs I have:

ZoneAlarm version:6.5.737.000
McAfee VirusScan Pro Version 10.0 with spamkiller Auto-update selected.
Hijack This 1.99.1
AVG Anti spyware 7.5 Auto-update selected.
CCleaner
PandaActive scan
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
SafetyAlerter 2006 (dont know what this is)
VirusBurster 6.2 (dont know what this is)
Ad-Aware SE personal
Mozilla1.5.0.4
IE version 6.0.2900.2180

The things i have read say to use more than one anti virus program reduces the efficiency...I don't know what to keep, what to delete. I must admit i don't know the difference between anti-virus/spam/spyware/adware....

I lived in blissful ignorance until i got the "bug"...

Does anyone have advice?
Does anyone have a good routine they use to keep updated and protected?

I thank you SO MUCH, in advance.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You should only use one on-access virus protection utility, so you should not, for example, be using Macafee Viruscan with any other similar application designed to intercept viruses when you open an infected file. Doing so could cause your system to become unstable as well as slowing it down, since it takes longer for two applications to check the same file for viruses. It's also true that the 'big names' in antivirus will eat into your system resources more than those that aren't as famous but often just as effective.

My own strategy is this:

Antivirus: Avast 4 Home Edition (free but completely trustworthy).
Firewall: Agnitum Outpost Pro (paid for version)
Spyware: Agnitum Outpost Pro (as above, includes spyware detector)
Spyware: Javacool SpywareBlaster (blocks malicious websites in IE and Firefox)
Web Browser: Firefox is regarded as being 'safer' than IE, but I actually prefer IE, and IE7 now gives you all the same features including tabbed pages. IE is also easier to get plugins working with it, and anyway IE has not caused me any grief so why should I dump it?

Finally, you should get rid of 'VirusBurst'. It is malware (does bad things to your PC).

Edited by pip22, 17 October 2006 - 11:25 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Before going in and getting rid of programs like VirusBust you need to wait
and let your Malware expert tell you how to remove it. If you do it wrong then you can cause more promblems. When you have your machine cleaned by malware then they will give you ideas on how to stay protected.