Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Overheating!?

• Please log in to reply

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I've got a system that I think is overheating.

Fujitsu-Siemens T-Bird 1Ghz (upgraded to 1.4ghz, from SL5XT to SL5ZJ)
256MB RAM (crap, I know - soon to be upgraded to 512mb - max. supported :whistling: )
ASUS Tuwe-M motherboard
120gb Maxtor Harddrive
Writemaster DVD+-RW Drive
Fujitsu-Siemens CD-RW Drive
Windows XP Home Edition

I've not overclocked it(to my knowledge) - I literally opened the [bleep] up and whapped the new processor in and started it back up once everything was replaced, no BIOS settings have been changed at all by me.

The problem is I've upgraded from the Celeron 1ghz processor up to a Celeron 1.3ghz processor. I checked the system temperature as it appears to be making a strange revving-type noise during start up, then continues to make a low, yet highly noticeable humming noise. The system temperature reads a mobo temperature of an average of 28C. But the worry is the CPU is running at 62C and goes up to about 68/69C when CPU is at 100% full usage.
I've read some online reviews and forums, which say this processor should run at a max of 70C :help:

Even running idle it's at 60/61C. So the temperature isn't change isn't that big, but the actual temperatures appear to be overwhelmingly worrying, and I need to sort it out now, before the CPU sorts me out :)

So, like usual, if anyone can lend a hand I'd be very appreciative. I'll even post back to say how nice you are :blink: haha

Edited by GrantG, 17 October 2006 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There was an athlon computer i built years ago that ran at idle at 55° and when i did simple things like get on the internet would run up to 60°-66°. I did run it for a couple of years like that. One day i ran across a cheap zalman heatsink and installed it. What i found was when i built the computer i did not put enough thermal paste on the original AMD heatsink and it dried out quickly. After installing the zalman my temp at idle was 45° and it never ran hotter than about 58°. Yes, those AMD athlon processors did run a bit hot anyway so i ran the computer for a couple more years like that until i needed a case for new intel 2.4 build i was doing.

SRX660

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I've renewed the thermal paste and it's still running at 61C with very little running. I've bought a new coolermaster heatsink/fan so I'll put that on and see if it makes much difference, otherwise I'll be downgrading again :whistling:

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
My CPU fan is running at about 5400rmp, I've now added a case fan running at 2100rpm. Believe it or not, the system only came with a cpu fan and a fan for the psu. Even though it does have space and ports to add extra fans.
Now the mobo is running at a constant 25C according to the BIOS, and the CPU is running at a constant 60C idle. Still seems far too hot to me, I've even replaced the heatsink compound, and it made no difference at all.
New heatsink+fan should be here soon though, i'll post back the differences
:whistling: