Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP restarts continuously

• Please log in to reply

burton44

burton44

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
i have a Gateway computer with windows XP media edition.
one night i was juts using the computer when it unexpectedly restarted. When it came back on and finished loading it just restarted again. When i put it into safe mode it didnt restart so i tried running Ad-Aware and McAfee but they found nothing. I then ran SmitFraudFix and rebooted the computer, the problem seemed to be gone so i used it for a few hours and went to bed. the next morningit was at a blue screen that said: Windows had to Shut down to avoid a serious error, and it said to check some things inside the computer and check for updates
at the bottom it said
STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xF3Fc6A1E, 0xB8861A20, 0x00000000)
everytime i try to start it it just restarts

is there anything i can do?
sorry about my info, i dont know much about computers

Advertisements

burton44

burton44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
can anyone help??????

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

* “STOP 0x0000008e” Error Message During Windows XP Setup {KB 315335} Win XP
* Games: “Stop” Error Message That References Nv4_disp.dll {KB 325730} Flight Simulator, other games (wth Nvidia-based video adapter)
* Your Computer Stops Responding When You Use the Highlighter Feature & the Font Color Feature {KB 829578} Win XP

Look up the KB numbers above at support.microsoft.com to see if they can help you. If you do not think you can handle this i would take it to a professional so they can reinstall windows on the computer.

You might read this thread on the problem.

http://www.annoyance...nxp/t1060481303

SRX660

burton44

burton44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok well thanks
i think ill just send it back or something since its still under warrenty