Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't install any "new" programs

• Please log in to reply

Pointman39

Pointman39

• Pip
  • 5 posts
One of my pc's (desktop) is connected to the internet via my wireless router.

The problem is this: I can download anything I want to this wirless pc desktop, programs, etc. BUT, I cannot install them (open them). ** I have checked to see if virus, none. Spyware, none! FYI.

What can I do to resolve this? If I connect this pc to wired, (Ethernet), connection for the internet it works just fine, installing the downloaded programs.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you logged in as a user with sufficient rights to install? If you're using WXP, try right clicking the .exe file and choosing "Run as", to run as the local administrator or other administrator account.

If this isn't the issue, what error message do you get?

Pointman39

Pointman39

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Linda, Thank you for taking time out of your day to give me your thoughts on my problem.

This is what I know: ** We (my wife and I) are logging in Administrators. **All Virus's have been updated and all scans show no foul play. **This desktop pc is connected via our wireless card thorugh our wireless network(D-Link Router), using WPA for security. **Wireless connection tends to be Good or Very Good

Problems: **Most, if not all, web pages don't load properly, (meaning you see part of the web page's html on the top or bottom). **I try updating windows, for example, and it doesnt allow me to install the updates. **I tried downloading Firefox 1.5, another example, to try something other than IE, and it downloaded just fine, BUT it won't open/install.

All of this baffles me??

Any ideas? Thank you!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If you can download and save files to your computer but not open the file once it's there, then I don't think the wireless connection is playing a part. Along with the strange web page behavior, I'd tend to think virus or spyware. Have you ever been able to install software on this computer? What is the OS? You might try creating a new user with administrative rights, logging on with that new user account and trying to install something.

Pointman39

Pointman39

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear Linda, When I connected this "problematic" or it just me, pc to the landline of our network, all is fine with downloads and web pagess apearing correctly.

I keep Norton updated and I did a thorugh scan, with nothing coming back.

I also used SpyBot 1.4 with the latest update, all is well with this prgram too.

FYI: I using Windows XP Home Edition. with everything updated, well almost, for this pc.

I will try your suggestion by adding another administrator and see if this helps. Thank you once again for your kindness!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, then it must be something with the router and/or the security settings. Are you running WXP SP2? If not, there's a WPA patch available from Microsoft's site (seach for "windows xp wpa patch download"). Also, check your router's documentation for "software installation" security settings. You might also try turning off the WPA security (temporarily) to see if that makes a difference with installations. If all else fails, you should call D-Link technical support.

Pointman39

Pointman39

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dearest Linda:

Thank's again for all of the attention you have given me.

Yes, I am using SP2. But, I will try your idea's and see what happens. Let's see what Thursday brings??

Take care!