Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copying a website

• Please log in to reply

MossDragon

MossDragon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been asked by a friend to copy a whole website which was created for him. I have the website designer's/owner's permission to do this and the content is all owned by my friend. Any ideas on the best way to do this? I need to grab a copy of everything with the idea of uploading to a different domain name at a later date.
Thanks

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
FTP into the site, grab the entire public_html directory.

If there are databases you will need to do a SQL dump of them so that you can re-import them into the new sites database.

Also, make note of any server-specific configurations so you can edit them appropriately when you make the move.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
if you don't have ftp access, well, it could be a little complicated, although there are probably "site grabbers" (programs) of some sort.

MossDragon

MossDragon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you both for your help. FTP hadn't even crossed my mind. Brilliant - thanks again :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Novice here... :whistling:

Could you please outline the steps...from the installing and setting up of an FTP connection through to the actual site grab.

example:

1. download "Cute FTP" http://www.cuteftp.com/cuteftppro [<if this is the recommended one]
2. [now what]
3. ditto

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Novice here... :whistling:

Could you please outline the steps...from the installing and setting up of an FTP connection through to the actual site grab.

example:

1. download "Cute FTP" http://www.cuteftp.com/cuteftppro [<if this is the recommended one]
2. [now what]
3. ditto

This will vary because various hosts have various set-ups.

This would be a VERY basic route:

1. Download SmartFTP
2. Enter your hosts FTP login information (ex. ftp.yourhost.com <username> <password>) and login.
3. Navigate to your www folder (again, depends on your how, the standard locations are public_html or www).
4. Highlight everything you want to copy.
5. Download to a directory on your computer

Again, very basic but also leaves out a TON of variables including databases, .htaccess files, symbolic links and more...

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Great... haven't a clue about what you are talking about, but that's o.k., I'm always learning.

Question:

Is there any value [I use Netscape as my browser] to going to View > Page Source, and then copying the entire output to Netscape's Composer function?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
You better tackle those basics I posted before you do anything else...
I mean, the stuff I posted is extreme basic.

Copying the source output and saving it will not always give you what you need as certain things get parsed differently in the output (cgi, java, etc) and get converted into a straight HTML display for source output.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
php as well

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Just being nosy...sorry for taking up space... That stuff is all beyond me, I'm afraid... you're dealing with a pretty ancient fellow here :whistling: End of string...

Edited by b1caez01, 21 October 2006 - 05:03 PM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
It's really not too difficult to grasp the basics....

My suggestion to ANYONE reading this who is a novice at web page design is to get the basics first:

1. Learn how web pages function and learn some basic terminology (FTP, HTML, PHP, CSS, etc)
2. Learn how to manage pages via FTP
3. Learn the basic building blocks of HTML
4. Look at the source code of other websites. Don't copy but instead look at the sites output and compare it to the code view to get a feel of what is being done to accomplish what is displayed.
5. Use Google A LOT! It bears repeating: Use Google A LOT! LEarn from what others have already been through. There is a plethora of resources out there to guide you.

techahben

techahben

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Go to command prompt:

Do

nslookup thesiteyouwant.com

Copy the IP address and enter it into CuteFTP as host ip address, then your user name and password.

Once you're successful, you will see an explorer style type of interface. Browse to the public_html folder and copy everything inside it. (Highlight it and download).

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
"Go to command prompt: Do nslookup thesiteyouwant.com

Copy the IP address and enter it into CuteFTP as host ip address, then your user name and password.

Once you're successful, you will see an explorer style type of interface. Browse to the public_html folder and copy everything inside it. (Highlight it and download)."

Am I to assume that you mean c:\cmd on my computer? That won't work, so obviously, not. So, where is the command promp to be entered? ...while we are at a site? already?

I am quite dozy and need some further details :whistling: ...imagine that you are talking to a six year old :help: ...that's usually a good place to start... :blink:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

I think this advice is for someone who owns the website already, because chances are slim that you will be able to log on to someone else's FTP and download anything, unless you know the user name and password for that particular site. You can save a webpage for your own future reference by making a pdf out of it, or just save it to your computer as an htm or html page. If you do "copy" an entire website, be aware of possible copywrite infringement if you upload the material elsewhere. In other words, you're better off linking than "stealing" content.

Johanna

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I figured as much, but being an old-timer, I sometimes miss things... :help:

Hey, while I've got your ears ...can anyone tell me where I can go to get a java script to put a calendar onto my blog. :whistling:

I've checked out a bunch of them, but, they don't seem to work for me ...so I am obviously doing it wrong. This has been my bain, as I download page sources and try to "read" where the calendar script is located. I find them, but don't know what to do with them when I do. And those with scripts seem very complicated, especially when you don't know where to put them in you blog.

So, I am thinking it is best to go to a site that freely allows for downloading a calendar script and go from there.

I have been able to insert scripts into my side bar...got that figured out...but not calendars...

Suggestions? :blink:

Edited by b1caez01, 24 October 2006 - 03:34 PM.