Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• Please log in to reply

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Dear helpers,

Recently, when I downloaded a game called, Gunbound Revolutions, this error was caused. When I launch the game, it comes up well, and very randomly brings this terrifying STOP! message that scares the crap out of me.

I took some notes on the blue screen and this is what I found out:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x01AC0384, 0x0000002, 0x00000001, 0x8051A508)

Error messages are extreamly unclear and unreliable, so I went here to get more assistance on this particular error message.

To my understanding, this error message just shows for Gunbound Revolutions and not the other games I play. I might think the game has something up its sleeves.

My system specs are as follows:

- Windows XP SP2
- nVidia GeForce 5200 series (kinda old)
- RAM memory 512 MB
- Pentium 4 processor
- 128 MB graphics card (I think. Pretty good speed)

Thanks for the help!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

This happens when games are made before the operating system your using came out. It also happens a lot with XP and games made before XP came out. XP protects certain drivers from being modified and before XP windows would let games modify DLL's and other files so the game would play. you will probably have to find a computer with an earlier OS to play it.

SRX660

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Dear SRX660,

When I read your post, I knew you were an experienced computer techinicain when I saw all those deatils on this blue screen. :whistling:

Anywho, I got furthur news to update you on.

I download Gunbound Revolution on my laptop that has these system specs:

Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon XP2500+
RAM memory 448 MB
Pentium 4 processor
128 MB graphics card (not sure about this one)

To my amazement, Gunbound worked perfectly on my laptop! No errors, no sound glitches, no blue screen and no video card issues. My laptop has been here for about 3 years now and the error messages is very rare than my main computer (fast comp). So, I'm saying to myself... "How could my slow laptop outbeat my fast computer which supports nVidia?"

I'm a little bit puzzled on what I should do. I really want this game to work on the main comp because laptop is mostly work-based.

Thank you SRX660!
:blink:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, AMD's have always been more game friendly than the intel processors. It seems to be the hardware your using in the desktop that the game doesn't like much. It also might be the game does not like the nvidia graphics card. Theres really no telling except to experment to see if you can make the game to stop blue screening. It could even be a update you have installed on the desktop and did'nt on the laptop. There was an athlno barton 2600 puter i built that was a real pistol on games but it always ran pretty hot( like 70° most of the time). I sold it to a friend and he ran it for a year or so until it burned up one day. The Mb and proc was replaced by a NF3 and AMD 3000 but it just was not as fast as that barton. The 3000 was still faster than my intel 3.0 puter on games.

I would try a better graphics card first to see if it would help( maybe a Nvidia 6600-6800 or a ATI 1600). beyond that you could buy a AMD proc/mb combo kit and update the computer to see if it will do the game better. Even the intel and AMD 2000-2500 range of processors and motherboards are getting scarce anymore. Plus i would not play any game with less than a GIG of memory. It makes it so much more pleasant to play.

Heres a good playground to dream about.

http://www.tigerdire...lc.asp?CatId=14

SRX660

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
After doing research, I've seen that Gunbound is an old game that was made in 2000. Which was primarily for Windows 2000.

Heres the other part:

After playing on my laptop, the game freezes and wants to restart!

So might as well retreat and move on to other games. :whistling:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Before giving up you might want to update your hardware drivers and/or try running the game with compatibility mode turn on.

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Good news. I took ZEUS_GB's advise and put the compatibility to Windows NT (Service Pack 5) and the game was running smoothly with no IRQL errors. I played for 10 minutes and had to go to school so I can't be 100% sure that the error will return again.

Today when I get back from school, I try to play longer and see how it goes.

By the way, a new error popped up when I had to close the game. It was BAD_POP_HEADER, or something like that. So I'll try to just close the game with Ctrl + Alt + Delete (If that works).

Alright! I'll be back in 3 hours when school finishes. :whistling:

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Great news everybody! This game actually supports Windows NT (Service Pack 5)!

The IRQL error is history.

But NOW (you must be saying "OMG another ERROR?!") theres another problem. When I exit the game, blue screen (option: ctrl + alt + delete). Sometimes, not always, a DIFFERENT blue screen appears. Not much as IRQL. Something with FAULTY_PAGE_somethingsomething

This game is nice but too buggy... :/

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
And you did update all the drivers for your hardware?
My guess would be that updating everything (maybe including the game itself) will fix most of the problems you have.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres the page fault most computers get.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

SRX660

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I got more information to give you SRX660.

Alright, you know the "good" blue screen of windows that shows when it is fixing stuff some faulty files?

Well, one of the files was about Gunbound.

The name of the file was GunBound(lots of #s).pf, GameGaurd(#s).pf, and some RunDLLs. All these curropted files are from the Prefetch folder (DRIVE\WIDNOWS\Prefetch).

So, what I did was delete the curropted ones and see if the game would make new fresh ones when launching it again.

I'll test this out when I get back from school in 4 hours! :whistling:

BTW, I'll post a screenshot for furthur information!

Flashoreek

Flashoreek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Back to the OLD drawing board! :blink:

Seems that the game now has 3 brand new blue screens:

IRQL error came back
BAD_POOL_HEADER
and seems that PAGE_NOT_blahblah doesn't want to go away

BUT! But, but, but... I managed to ask someone that has XP. It seems that this game, works FINE in Widnows XP SP1 and not SP2. I have SP2, everything is updated and seems that Gunbound hates that fact.

Since getting Service Pack 1 is mostly impossible and a waste of my time (why do I need SP1 for this one game?), I desided to surrender and play it on my laptop! My laptop has Service Pack 2 and it works (freezes sometime), but who do you blame? :help:

So, I give up. Thanks for the help guys. :whistling:

WHITE FLAG HAS LANDED