Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Boot

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I have this thing called Winternals and i booted into the ERD Commander which is from it. I ran a disk wipe in it to wipe the C drive, and I cancelled it at about 60% cause it was taking too long. So i reboot and my comuter says "Error Booting Operating System." And i rele need help on fixing this. The weird thing is that i have two os's and it still says that. I DONT HAVE MY RECOVERY CD'S.But i will be getting them soon. Any help before i get them is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Drumbum667...

The weird thing is that i have two os's

Not any more... :whistling:

The Disk Wipe utility does just as the name implies...it wipes the drive clean. If it works the way most of these applications do, the first thing it did was to delete any and all partitions on the drive...it then probably started writing the drive to zero's, which effectively destroys all the data contained thereon.

You'll have to wait for your Recovery Set and reinstall the operating system.

wannabe1

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
But i set it to only wipe the volume C:\. [bleep] IM SO MAD RIGHT NOW. I had all my beautiful Photoshop work on there and now its gone. Im glad i uploaded them to Pohtobucket.

Edited by Drumbum667, 17 October 2006 - 07:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If that's the case, we may be able to get in using Recovery Console. Do you have a floppy drive on this both your machines?

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Actually there both laptops so no.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you describe for me just how the machine is configured? Which operating system was where?

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Well on the one that can't boot now, it had Windows XP Home on the C partition, and then it had Vista RC1 on the D partition. It is an 80 gb HD.

johnthunder

johnthunder

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Unfortunatly your boot file which lets you decide the operating system will have been on the c: drive, so effectively you will have destroyed that file making the system believe there are no operating systems available.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
So once i reinstall XP i should be able to boot into Vista and XP. I thought that might of made me unable to boot into any operating so thanks for confirming it. I should be getting my recovery discs today so I should be able to reinstall XP later today.