Welcome to Geeks to Go
Geeks to Go Welcome
Create Account Login to Account
Photo

How to remove Outerinfo pop-ups (aka PurityScan or OIN)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

piroteknix

piroteknix

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My sister is a very unsafe internet user, going to websites and downloading anything she wants. I found this out the hard way when I found Outerinfo on my computer last week. I removed it via Add/Remove Programs but it came back today. Instead of calling in an old priest and a young priest to destroy it, I came here. I downloaded combofix.exe, but when I ran it, my taskbar disappeared and a window popped up saying 'SED' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. It also closed some windows I had open (I was IMed on AIM but when I hit alt+tab to tell my friend I couldn't talk at the moment, the window was gone, but my AIM logs show that I was IMed. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not). I don't think the scan actually finished because I didn't get a log from it. I restarted and ran combofix.exe again, but it did the same thing. I didn't click the combofix window during the scan, the taskbar just vanished. I only had Firefox open. Is this normal? Should I just let combofix continue?

Edited by piroteknix, 11 November 2007 - 07:40 PM.

Advertisements

Selinay

Selinay

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I'm new and really a dummy when it comes to computers. I hope it's okay to post this here, I don't know where else to post it. I downloaded the OiUninstaller.exe and it worked fine, but when I download the combofix.exe and click on it to open and run it, it says type 1 to continue or 2 to abort. I type 1 without mouseclicking on the window, all other windows are closed, and it just sits there, doing nothing. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hello and welcome piroteknix. Selinay

I would suggest you both start a new topic in the Malware forum and someone will be along to help you there

Don

BlizzardSlayer

BlizzardSlayer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just wanted to say thank you guys so much! you've been very helpful and i have removed 2 annoying and possibly harmful viruses with your help! :)

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hello and welcome BlizzardSlayer

Glad to hear everything is sorted :)

doctorkc

doctorkc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The ComboFix.exe link no longer works. Says it is out of date.

Appreciate a link that works,

Doctorkc

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hello and welcome doctorkc

Yes the tool needs attention of the author unfortunately he is taking some much needed time off

Please run through the steps outlined in this Topic
Post back a fresh log in the Malware forum please

Damian981

Damian981

• Pip
  • 3 posts
How long does combofix.exe usually take to run? I have executed the application, but just a blue window appears and has been on my screen for over 30 minutes at this time. A window does appear briefly prior to this window and states, 'please wait' and then the blue window appears. Task manager shows it is running. Is this normal?

Damian981

Damian981

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Disregard, I must have overlooked the previous 2 posts concerning this application.

hudel19

hudel19

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, First time in this or any forum. Thank you for all this free support, it is very generous of your organization. I am following the steps above to remove PurityScan (hopefully)

I have 2 questions.

1- While running Combo Fox , my Kaspersky AV screamed at me to tell me Trojan.Win32.Inject.mf was doing something. Is this part of the Combo fix it happened around Stage 3 or 4 of the process.

2- Do in need to install AVG antivirus free sample or can I use my current install of Kaspersky?

Thank you again for your help

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Note: process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool". It is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user. See: http://www.beyondlog...processutil.htm

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hello and welcome hudel19

Admin answered your first question in regards to question 2 if you already have Kaspersky no need to add a second Anti Virus

hudel19

hudel19

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Admin and Don77 ,

I ran OiUninstaller and Combofix, it appears they did their job. Combofix found and quarantined most of the .dll and other file that were causing the troubles (i think). I then ran full system scans with Kaspersky, Spysweeper and Zonealarm, no threats were detected. But when I run securetaskmanager (http://www.neuber.co...ager/index.html) it still shows two .dll running as bho. These are the 2 that monitor IE startup and get me the popups ( i think). These are also 2 of the files the combofix removed and quarantined. I am still getting popups.

Please tell me what i should do next. Thank You

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
While these removal guide topics are left open for comment, we do not offer any additional malware removal assistance here. That will require posting a new topic in the malware removal forum. Include your ComboFix log, and fresh HijackThis log.

qrushjohnson

qrushjohnson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all. I am new to this forum. i have been having problems trying to uninstall this dang thing from my computer. It will not let me remove it from the add remove programs, and when i try to go to the uninstaller site, that it gives you when you try to remove the program, it does nothing. when i tried to go to the link that is provided in this thread it pulls up a new window with a blank screen and nothing else happens. does anyone know how to counteract this? i apoligize if this is posted in another thread but i dont have a lot of time to search around. thank you for any help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.