Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How come the sound won't work?

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi;

I have tried everything but I can't seem to get my sound card working with Vista it worked the first time that vista was running but after I restarted it stopped working, and it keeps saying "THE AUDIO SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING".

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SOORENA, 17 October 2006 - 07:48 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
By the way this is my laptop and its a dell Inspiron 6400 with SoundBlaster Advanced Audio for XPS M1710.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The problem lies within Vista RC1 itself, for a quickfix you'll need to install the new - free - RC2. You'll know where to find it :whistling:

Hyperspace

Hyperspace

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

The problem lies within Vista RC1 itself, for a quickfix you'll need to install the new - free - RC2. You'll know where to find it :whistling:

No, I don't know where to find it. M$ has pulled it...back to RC1!

See for yourself:
http://download.wind...en/download.htm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SOORENA...

Let's see if the Audio Service can be started.

You may have to add the Run option to the Start Menu...it's not shown by default in Vista. Right click on the Start button and choose "Properties". Under the "Start Menu" tab, click on "Customize" for whichever style menu is selected. Locate "Run Command" in the list and tick the box next to it. Click "Ok" to the open windows then try the following:

Click Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok". Scroll down the list to Windows Audio and double click on it. The Service Status should be "Started" and have "Automatic" as the Startup Type. If it is not set this way, change it and accept the changes.

Let me know what you find...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 October 2006 - 07:41 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thank you wannabe1 that worked like a charm and by the way is it worth it to download RC2 are there real major changes?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good to "hear".... :whistling:

RC2 is a little more refined and maybe a little faster, but really is not that much different from RC1. Unfortunately, it would appear that Microsoft has now pulled RC2 from it's download page and rolled back to RC1. Why? I have no idea... :blink: Hopefully it will be available again, soon, but with a release date for Vista set for January it's really anybody's guess as to whether they will release it again or not.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Isn't it about time that they released the actual complete version, I mean it was supposed to come out in 2003 and it's about time it they did.

Edited by SOORENA, 20 October 2006 - 07:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Vista will become available to the public in January 2007...as things now stand. :whistling: