Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mother pulled out monitor jack off m/board

• Please log in to reply

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Mom's e-machine p/supply started smoking. So she started pulling the cables out to unhook it. In doing so she pulled the jack off the M/board. A friend came me a graphics card to use but it to long for the slot. Can I put it back in or do i need a new one?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi JMLSCOOP...

You might shop around a bit and see if you can find a PCI video card. That should fit in the slots you have. I'm afraid the alternative is to buy a new motherboard from eMachines.

wannabe1

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Added a pci/video card but nothing happened. I've got power to the hd,cd,dvd, and floppy drives. The fans comes on the p/s and m/b. but nothing comes on the the screen. Put the software in and nothing. Also the computer comes on when the power is plugged up??????????????????????????? I'm thinking Motherboar

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would be inclined to agree with you...that the motherboard has been damaged. You did replace the smoked power supply, right?

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sure did! Apparently they are bad for taking m/b out when the p/s goes bad.