Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell B130 Pentium M 735A 1.7GHz

• Please log in to reply

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I just purchased a Dell Inspiron B130 Pentium M 735A 1.7GHz for my girlfriend for $460US. It includes XP home, 512 DDR2 RAM, 60 GB 5400RPM HD, and a 8X DVD +-RW.

My question is: does anybody have any experience with these machines and was this a reasonable price to pay? I've been using PCs since I got my first Commodore 64 in 1985, but I have absolutely zero experience with laptops. She will be using it primarily for school and burning CDs and DVDs.

I did quite a bit of research before making the purchase, so I'm fairly confident I made a good choice, but I'd appreciate any input you guys might have.

Edited by kidnova, 17 October 2006 - 09:17 PM.

Advertisements

mostsleek

mostsleek

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well it all depends on what she wants to do with it. It is a laptop that will be good for going around on the internet, checking email, and word documents. It does a have a good amount of HD space, 60GB, and it is a widescreen, however with integrated graphics don't expect to be blown over by the graphics. Over all it is a good "work" laptop, the only upgrade would be additional memory, which would help the integrated graphics with sharing the memory. Upgrading memory on a laptop is pretty easy, a tip is not to buy it from Dell. Try to find it on Newegg on sale or with a rebate, it will less then buying it from Dell. It can hold a max on 1GB of memory, keep that in mind for future upgrades. My friend has a year 2001 Dell laptop that can hold a max of 512MB memory. When I got my laptop 3 years ago it came with 512MB and it was fine for then, however, as time went on it took longer and longer to load programs and just plain slower. A simple fix was bumping up the memory to 1 GB, and WOW what a difference. Like I said it all depends on what she wants to do with it, but for less then $500, it is a pretty good deal.

kidnova

kidnova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Alright, change of plans. I cancelled the original order and purchased an E1405 with a 1.6GHz T1300 core solo processor. It only cost me $40 more and it comes with the better processor, a higher speed FSB, and most importantly it is smaller and lighter. It is also more aesthetically pleasing, which is important to her.

Actually, I think it was worth the additional $40 just for the fact that it comes with a 1yr warranty as opposed to the B130's 90-day warranty.