Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Smithfraud.c blocking access to the desktop

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All,

I was in the process of fixing this problem until I got into a dead end.

At first Its has replace the desktop background of my friends PC. After we run all sorts of spyware and antivirus software the error starts to appear after system reboot and sellecting a user profile . I have tried going in to the Task Manager but it says 'Task manager has been disabled by your system Administrator'.

Then I booted to Safe Mode and all I get is a hour glass and the word 'Safe Mode' on each corner of the screen and MicroSoft Windows XP words with the build number and sp1 on top of the screen. I have waited over nigth to see if its gonna change and show me a desktop to work with and it still the same screen.

I have found good recommendation from this forum and I have downloaded some tools to use. But without access to the desktop I can't use it.

I'm already considering reinstalling xp home after I had backup all important files. Is there another alternative to this option?

I thank you for your time.

Please see error below:

Security Warning:
A fatal error in IE has occured at 0028:C0011E36 IN VXD VMM<01> +
00010E36. Error was caused by Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smithfraud.c

* System ca not function in normal mode.
Please check you security settings.

* Scan your PC any available antivirus / spyware remover
program to fix the problem.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo
sorry not clear
- you do arrive at post(the final desktop screen) in normal mode then
if not, a repair with XPcd would get you back functionality but you still have the desktop warning and effects of the smitfraud trojan

How-to perform a repair installation of Windows XP

here is the link for malware removal here

Edited by fleamailman, 18 October 2006 - 05:06 AM.

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
While at the blue screen, if you hit Ctrl + Alt + Del, does it bring up anything?