Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Error 0x80040707

• Please log in to reply

johnthunder

johnthunder

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi
I recently removed a virus which had come from drive cleaner 2006.
Some muppet had downloaded this onto our joint use pc.
Anyway I removed the 20 virus's and got rid of all the spyware which came with it for free, yippee.
Now the person who managed to kill the pc loaded NTL Netguard, which currently has errors after the virus.
I have tried to remove it and get the Error 0x80040707 Access Denied Message.
I try to run the programme and get XMLHelper::init():CoCreateInstance(CLSID_DOMDocument40)failed, the programme was not able to load CLSID_DOMDocument40 correctly, please restart the computer if problem persist blah blah blah.
I have re started, tried to re install, I have even removed the windows installer from the programme list and re installed that but I am still having trouble getting rid of Netguard and I cant re install because of the error so I can then uninstall it.
I have also tried to remove the applkication data from the hidden file from the C: drive but I get the message that it is still be used by windows, I check in the task manager to end the process but I cant see which it may be.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo
boot the computer into safemode
remove programs from there
(is it often that a program is running while one is trying to delete it that stops one doing so)

safemode normal way to boot into it
http://fleamailman.f...c.php?p=217#217

johnthunder

johnthunder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi
Thanks for the reply
I should of mentioned also that I have tried safe mode already.
The thing with the NTL Netguard is it wont operate in safe mode, the pc tell you to restart in normal mode to operate either installing or removing

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
try this
- download and install: free program 'unlocker'
http://www.scanwith....er_download.htm
- run unlocker from safemode
- remover program from add/remove

johnthunder

johnthunder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
tried that, it got rid of the user data file hidden in the c:drive which i couldnt get rid of hoever it is still residing somewhere in the pc as the NTL installer still in the add remove list and gives the same error when trying to remove.
I also get a error from a windows start up saying windows has recovered from a serious error ( I doubt its that serious)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think that we are in agreement that the problem is traces of the infection are still in the comp therefore it would best to have security here look at hjt log after you have clearned the system in steps mentioned in this redirect

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Edited by fleamailman, 18 October 2006 - 10:13 AM.

johnthunder

johnthunder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok I have opened a message in the HJT Logs