Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disney Junks Junk Food

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
DISNEY is axing junk food from all kids meals at its theme parks.

Joining the worldwide drive for healthy eating, it has also banned popular characters like The Incredibles and Disney Princesses from endorsing sugary and fat-laden snacks.

From next week out go fizzy drinks, burgers and fries to be replaced by bottled water, semi-skimmed milk, fresh fruit juice and carrot sticks.

In a move to tackle the growing problem of child obesity, kids meals on sale at the US resorts of Disneyland and Disney World and Europe's Disneyland, Paris will provide fruit and vegetables from its Disney Garden range.

The revamped calo rie-counted dishes will include organic pasta dishes like Mickey Mouse shaped ravioli, with apples and bananas replacing doughnuts and supersize ice creams. The entertainment empire is also not renewing its £537million deal with McDonald's which puts Disney toys into its Happy Meal boxes.

Disney President Robert Iger said: "The Disney brand is in a unique position to market food that kids will want." Child health expert Dr James Hill of the University of Colorado said: "It shows a commitment to kids' long-term health."

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
People buy food in disneyland, its almost as expensive to get in as it is to eat there. Does anyone else think there is something wrong with charging huge entry fees then also having high prices for things like food inside. Its like paying to get into a club AND paying extortianate drinks prices.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I'm not sure if there'a a higher death risk in a club than in Disneyworld, though

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I think the amount of money we pay for food anywhere like Disneyworld, the movie theater, sporting events, etc., is ridiculous, as you're basically a captive audience; you can either eat or starve. I think it's great that they're making the effort to provide healthier food at places such as this.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
They charge the price high enough were people will buy it. They know they can charge people their crazy prices and that people will buy it unfortunatly ... :whistling:

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
That's basically at any place that supplies it's own food and drink (or souvenirs for that matter). A great example is the following:

I went to a club earlier this year and the evening was sponsored by Russian Bear vodka. They had specials all night (note the word SPECIALS) where you pay R30 (R7 = $1)per double vodka and lemonade. This might seem fair enough....if it wasn't for the fact that i can buy a BOTTLE of Russian Bear Vodka at ANY liquor-store for R50 (it used to be R20 a bottle). I'm not talking half-jack, i mean the big bottle. It's absurd what people charge when they know they've got you by the....throat. Cigarette vending machines here charge up to R23 per packet for the same brand i can buy for R15 at a gasstation. I want someone to sit me down one day and explain to me step for step how they can sleep at night when they charge almost double the price for things at some places. I'd really like to know that.