Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Router dies on me - causes?

• Please log in to reply

deefadog

deefadog

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi all, hope someone can help, I have a voyager 210 Router and it was working find, until we had a few power cuts in a row, the pC was off but the router was on (but plug into a surge protected extension).

Now after the power cuts i booted up the pc ans zonealarm detected a new network, so i click ok and then it asked if i wanted "services.exe" to contact the internet, i agreed, but since then tyhere has been no connection.

I got tech support from my ISP to ring me and we went through everything, reset it, ping it sucssfully, done the dnsflush, uninstalled zone alarm and avg etc, still we could not get the router page up into internet explorer. they have agreed to send me a new router - awaiting it as i type.

1) But i have a few quetsions, could the power cuts have effected the router?

2) Was the "services.exe" the cause maybe of this as i have no idea what this program is (stupid i know)?

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Unstable power to the router which you described as power cuts could very well damage the router. If you can't get into the router (load it's web page) or reset it to default values and re-configure, or reload a saved configuration file it is probably toasted. The services.exe is needed to connect to the internet.

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks Austin, I hope it is toasted, still no sign of the new one yet though :whistling:

Thanks again

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Just an update, new router arrived, same problem, i took the LAN card out for a second time and that seemed to fix it!

Typical ain't it :whistling: You try and cover all the bases first and it tuned out it was one all along! Anyway going good now

Thanks for your help much appreciated!