Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

G/fs PC and Harddrive space

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok My G/fs computer has 2 HDD a C:30Gig? and a D:10Gig?, she bought her PC used and all the software is Installed on the smaller D: drive. Is there anyway i can Partion the C drive to work with D: giving her at 30gigs with out reinstalling XP?

If not can Copying the registry and Installing a freesh copy of XP on the C: drive and updating and then installing all her software can copying and pasting her My docs over and Registry be a solution?

Any ideas that will help me do with minimal data lsoe and causeing a reinstall would help.

NOTE: C: HDD is empty

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im not actually sure what you want to do, do you want to have the D emtpy and move its data onto C? If so Why?

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I think he's wanting to 'combine' the drives, so they appear as one single drive, while keeping all the programs/data on the drives. I think it can be done, but warriorscot loves explaining these types of things :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is ways to do that but nothing i would reccomend especiall on a system that has drives that small.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok i kinda wish i knew the guy that set it up cause he seriously did it A** backwards GrantG is right what is happening is Windows is running and installing to the small D: drive which right now is full and the only way to make use of the empty C: drive would be 2 unplug the D: and partion the C and install windows but she is running a Dell and does not have the OS CD's and its just all wrong.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I just read something on taking my my docs and copying and pasting it to her empty drive and Changing the destination to her D: drive. downfall is i'd ahve to do it for all 3 family members!

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
also i read about partiton magic 8.0 which is only good for 1 Pysical drive the only nother option i think i have is to wipe or at least move her my docs to add some space

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Do you have two physical drives or two partitions

I've used both partition magic 8 and norton ghost 8 to do the transfer from one drive to another without any problems. first thing to do is clean up the os delete any programs you donít need defragment the drive, chkdsk the drive for any errors ect, download any drivers you may need just in case.

Do you have a CDRW or DVDRW

If you choose to create an image of the drive with a ghost program you can span it over several disks, DVD would be better as you will use less disks.

If you donít have a burner

You could partition the 30gig drive with two partitions of 15gigs each, create a image and save it to the second partition create a boot floppy for ghost or cd boot disk depending which version of ghost you get, disconnect the ten gig drive run ghost to install the image, check that every thing is working ok, then with something like PQ8 delete the second partition and extend the first partition to use the full 30gig, put the ten gig backing as slave and format the 10gig drive.

In ghost you need to go into the settings and tick a box to verify the data to make sure it will work.

PQ8 has wizards to follow, not to difficult to use.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Disk 1: Basic 37.26 BB online

D: 5.56 GC NTFS Healthy(Boot) C: 31.70 GB NTFS Healthy(System)

2 Partions

I just talked to her on IM

The C: is empty no files or folder on it so how would i combine them using Partition magic 8.0 without losing much data on D:

Edited by Mr.Logic, 18 October 2006 - 07:58 PM.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Partition Magic would just combine them it wont damage any file sor delete anything u need, its a nice little program like that

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
If youíre sure its two partitions you just merge the two partitions into one with PQ8

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
ok ty do i need purcahse it or will the free version do the job?

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
you will need to purchase it or find a friend who has it or get a service tech to do it