Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unknown workgroup

• Please log in to reply

Driest

Driest

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Recently on our network here at work a new workgroup, "workgroup", has appeared. I cannot connect to the workgroup to see what it is, i just get "Network path not found".

I would like to know what this is and how to get rid of it if it is just some ghost that was there when i first configured a new computer which initially joined "workgroup".

Thanks

Advertisements

johnthunder

johnthunder

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
If your on wireless and the system is unsecure, it may be someone local to you who may have connected either as they knew you were unsecure or by mistake, this will make their pc appear on your network as a standard network item.
If you have a cable network setup then it may be due to a visitor connecting to your network and your machine has remembered it.
if you want to try to connect to it, then change your workgroup settings and see if you can connect, then you can leave a note on their desktop asking them to clear off. lol

Driest

Driest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
If your on wireless and the system is unsecure, it may be someone local to you who may have connected either as they knew you were unsecure or by mistake, this will make their pc appear on your network as a standard network item.
If you have a cable network setup then it may be due to a visitor connecting to your network and your machine has remembered it.
if you want to try to connect to it, then change your workgroup settings and see if you can connect, then you can leave a note on their desktop asking them to clear off. lol

It is a cable network. I would think it was just a machine remembering it from when i setup a new computer, however it is not going away. I did actually do what you said and joing the network with another computer to see if i could see any other computers on that network. I only saw myself. I'd like to know how to clear even seeing it, if there is nothing there anymore.

johnthunder

johnthunder

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
If you go to my computer and click on my network places, you should see the last files accessed.
If you right click on the folders in the list then delete them it should remove the traces of the workgroup accessed.
Once these folders have gone the workgroup should also dissapear.