Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading from 98

• Please log in to reply

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok i want to ask for input as im really consdering an upgrade

having been on 98 for so long and given my vision woes i want to make best choice i can. i learned long ago newer does not always mean better. but im still hopeful

some of my concerns not in order except for the first one are

-overall security
-hardware required
-will any of the newer allow any dos so i can run my old masters of magic/orion cd games?
-most assistive/adaptive for a low vision or blind user?
-what it might cost for legit s/w for the upgrade?
-should i wait for full vista deplyment?

thanks very much , john

Advertisements

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
[removed, not helpful]

Edited by admin, 20 October 2006 - 11:35 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

ok i want to ask for input as im really consdering an upgrade

having been on 98 for so long and given my vision woes i want to make best choice i can. i learned long ago newer does not always mean better. but im still hopeful

some of my concerns not in order except for the first one are

-overall security
-hardware required
-will any of the newer allow any dos so i can run my old masters of magic/orion cd games?
-most assistive/adaptive for a low vision or blind user?
-what it might cost for legit s/w for the upgrade?
-should i wait for full vista deplyment?

thanks very much , john

are you wanting to jsut upgrade the software or are you looking to do hardware as well? And as far as an "upgrade" if you mean just software and want to keep the programs etc on your current install intact you only real option is windows xp at the moment, unless you can find a 2000 upgrade. I wouldn't recommend an me upgrade even if you can find one. 2000 probably will have trouble with your old software ( dos ) but you MAY be able to get it going in xp via the compatibility settings.... Another option is using a program called dosbox, that is still in development and doesn't work with everything but is quite usable. your other option would be to go to linux but there can be a steep learning curve... your best bet there is to get some of the live cd's and try them... if you find one you like there is also a dosbox for them ( not to mention wine for some windows software. )

as far as the hardware what do you have now? Are you also planning on upgrading it or just the software.?

As far as low vision/blind user, do you have software to assist in that or do you just use built in windows software? I believe xp has some stuff for that.... not 100% sure but I know microsoft started integrating there own versions of various programs of that nature.... They are usually options not defaults however...

Windows xp home upgrade is around $100 and pro is probably around $200....

If I have time later I'll look a little into some of your requirements but knowing what hardware you have would make things a little easier...

as far as waiting for vista....can't say, though from the last I heard ( awhile ago now ) unless you get the bottom end version the hardware requirements are gonna be kind of stiff for vista...

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
hail and well met shard92 much thanks for the reply and trying to help me figure it all out.

no i dont have any assistive software as of yet. im running out of time too, blind services tried an install of their main use s/w yesterday morning. im just now able
to even use my system after that nightmare. im barely running here. in fairness to them they did get me a large monitor to use and a magnifier lamp. they are not techs they are counselors. i should have not let them do install until i had more time to investigate their proggie and ask in here if it was ok

metallica pointed me toward a site that has s/w and devices so im checking them out also. most run on xp minimum now. i had a good voice to text shareware for win98 but it expired long ago and is now gone.

both lesia's machine and my dinosaur are 500p3 or less
both have 256 meg ram. both have for their day good solid parts just old now. so a software upgrade if the machines (processor/mb) will accept it is only way we can go (software only im meaning.)

as far as dos games go, its not a big deal at all as much other stuff as i have lost doing already.

im wanting to take a long look at slackware and other flavors also. not sure if im clever enough to do an install
much less use them but they may very well be an option that allows me to remain using a computer too.

im pretty sure if i had proper funds that there is the tech out there that allows totally blind users to have use of computer even use of the i-net. i just have to find where i can fit into this with low funds and lack of any support to help make it run.

thanks to this forum. my gal read the topics on safer computing and compared to her system woes and understands , she will be good to go with an xp upgrade im sure. she has pending hjt log in malware so once we get her going ill have her search for assistive stuff that might help.

i can do a belarc advisor report of my sys and compare to what xp requires.

off topic- did you happen to see the documentary of "net neutrality" night before last? our phone companies have hosed us bigtime.

much thanks for trying to help me with this. john

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
The problem with upgrading will be the drivers for the hardware, sound card video card printer scanner ect,

You need to find out the make model and version of your motherboard first, and then go to the manufacturers web site and see what drivers are there.

I have put XP on a 500cpu 256mb ram before today with a FSB of 100Mhz, a bit slow but ok, XP with SP2 and all updates takes up quite a bit of hard drive space 3Gig.

Some thing you will need to take into account.

One possible solution is if the drive is large enough is partition the drive and install W2k with Sp4 and see how you get on with the drivers, then you will have win98 and Win2k on the same drive and can then dual boot.

I always prefer a full install of the OS instead of upgrades.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi SVDtiger
With windows Xp you get an accessibilty program that has a magnifer
If you choose a low screen resolution and also large font settings you can get quite a big image on the screen. If you do need your games and can afford new hardware then I would buy a new computer - geestogo are able to help put one together to help suit your budget. I would then strip all the material that is not needed off the old machine - like office etc. I would then network the 2 machines through either a cross over cable or a hub. I would then run a program like VNC (freeware) this will allow you to use one monitor/keyboard/mouse. It also has the advantage of being able to switch between both machines - operating systems without a reboot.
The option suggested by Peter99 is a good and sound option if you can not afford a new computer.
Cheers
Peterm

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
hey guys much thanks for all the input as it has surely helped guide me in making choices.

actually it brought forth that i can be better than i have been even with this OS i have running now as far as seeing it better i mean.

i cant upgrade hardware so i have been searching the linux path for those distro's that will run ok on my older sys. and simply as possible.

my main use programs are thunderbird and firefox. mostly all i do is surf and mail. it may come about that i wont even be able to use them so with that in mind ive decided to pursue getting my ham radio license.

with linux intergrating as well as it does with packet radio
and talking freq counters and tuning ill still have an activity that i think ill enjoy and also be able to use computer too.

thats the big plan anyway. to keep it simple as i can right now. patch this old junk and run some free distro. and to find out what does transpire on the vision and cope with it.

you guys rock and i really appreciate your guidance :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have a look at this it works on 98 and is free
Magnifier