Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring files/settings/OS to new computer?

• Please log in to reply

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I've just built a new computer. Now I want to take everything off this hard drive onto the new harddrive and discard this computer as it's getting on a bit. Is there any way I can copy everything from this hard drive onto the new one, bearing in mind nothing's been installed on the new harddrive, not even an OS because my XP Home disk is so badly scratched it won't read from it. So basically, I want to transfer this copy of windows along with everything else onto my new harddrive then format the old harddrive. I don't know if this is legal or breaches MS copyright laws, but it'd sure help alot. Thank you

Micro$oft sucks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wouldnt breach any copyright unless its an OEM and you wont use the old PC anymore, however it wont work because windows only install the neccesary drivers each installation is particualr to the PC in which it was installed so unless the new PC is identical to the old it wont work, you can though transfer files across easily using a manual file transfer or syncronised files and folders.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well the 'repair' disk I got with it I used it to upgrade an old system to see how well(badly) it handled XP. So why call it a 'repair' cd if it fully installed XP? And there's not much chance in M$ giving me a new disk either, even though I purchased it legitamitely 4 years ago. I don't intend on using the old computer at all. I'm quicker walking to the library and reading a book than search the net for what info I'm looking for lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually MS never copyrighted windows CDs its only the OS itself you can actually legal make and download copies of windows XP legally as long as you have a liscence, MS did this so that people could make backups of the disks without worrying about breaking the law they also give out install disks pretty freely if you request and SP2 disk its often a SP2 slipstreamed copy they send not just the updates on a disk.

Ps stairs dont go anywhere people do.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 October 2006 - 01:41 PM.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
How do I go about making a copy of the disk then? I managed to get the disk to work and install XP tonight after giving it a serious clean. But it's still badly scratched and probably won't see me through my next repair installation.
Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you have a CD burner and a good burning app along the lines of nero but there is free stuff you just make a copy with that you can get exact details from the help files and wizards in your burning app whatever you use. Alcohol or Nero would be what i reccomend.