Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

old pc probs

• Please log in to reply

kyms

kyms

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
I'm knew to this so please bear with me if I get it wrong.

I have been given an old pc its a msi 845 pro 2 with 128 mb of ram two single sided sticks. The bios shows 68 mb which was probably the original setting. I want to upgrade to 512 mb and have a new double sided stick ready, the book says the mobo will support 3 gig in any of its slots (3) so on paper it looks ok.
The trouble is that when I fit the 512 in any of the slots the pc will not boot up, I have even tried updating the bios and fitting all 3 sticks together, desperate A?.

Any help please guys.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Does the documentation for your motherboard say what TYPE or memory it will hold? And, is that the same type of memory your trying to put in?

Also, are there any beep codes when you boot up the computer with the new RAM?

--Chris

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Note: As Intel® 845 chipset does not properly support the PC100
memory, it is strongly recommended that users install PC133 DIMM
modules for better system performance and stability. We do not guarantee
the system stability when installing PC 100 DIMM modules.

from the manual at MSI site says you need PC133 SDRAM

http://www.msi.com.t...tail.php?UID=31

Edited by peter99, 18 October 2006 - 06:56 PM.

kyms

kyms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanx guys

it is pc133 and there is no real beep codes, just one and no boot the old ram is single side the new is double thats the only difference that I can see.

Edited by kyms, 19 October 2006 - 08:48 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
More than likely you have high density modules. These are not compatable with some mainboards. I have found that when buying RAM whatch for the words "Low Density" and "Industry Standard" as these are the most compatable.

kyms

kyms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanx m8 good tip.

kyms

kyms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have loaded the high performance settings in the bios and put the stick of 512 in the middle slot of the three and the pc booted up and ran xp for about 4 minutes it then crashed and would only boot as far as the xp loading page it then switches off and tries to load again I assume the ram is not compatable cos when I put the original back in all is ok again.
I wonder though wether xp itself is playing games should I wipe the h/d and with the ram in place reload xp ?.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Download Memtest86+. Make a bootable disk and if you can get the PC to boot with the new RAM run Memtest86+. any errors means the RAM is either bad or not compatable with the chip set.

kyms

kyms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok thanx

White

White

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, My dads PC has this same MSI 845 Pro2 Motherboard It will only boot using the 3rd SDRAM slot it will not boot using 1st or 2nd slots i found this out when he wanted to add another 512MB module. so I took his original and tried it in all 3 slots seperatly and only 3rd allows it to boot up. But the wierd thing is when in the 1st and 2nd slots it doesn't give any warning beeps or send signal to monitor. any Ideas or experience with this situation before from any board members?

Also he has been running this board for 3-4yrs. now and in the last 2-3 weeks he says if he go to turn the PC on when cold or after it cools, it hangs at start-up and if he hits the reset 2-4 times it eventualy boots and runs fine. Any idea would be helpful. i already changed his power supply to see if it was the cause of this. he says it still hangs and after resetting 2-4 times it boots and runs fine. even can reboot it and it boots the 1st time if it hasn't went to long since he turned it off.

White

Edited by White, 28 October 2006 - 11:18 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hi white

when the cmp doesn't boot does it detect the hd?

White

White

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello vally and forum board,
I have no idea (cmp?). This morning is the 1st time i was at it for 1st boot of the day. My plan was to check BIOS setting and when i hit power button it hung by the time i hit [del] key to enter BIOS ((that's like 2-3seconds after Power on button)Don't know if it hangs this early everytime), so i hit reset and it got me into the BIOS, while looking thru BIOS it froze again and had to reset to get back in BIOS and check settings (didn't see any thing that would cause over-clocking or over-heating in the setting basic settings with Onboard sound and Awake By settings disabled) His PC set for default, not pushing the limits. So I really didn't notice HDDs, but with it hanging up before getting into BIOS and while in BIOS makes me think your right the EIDE sockets would get scanned that early so I guess I'll swap EIDEcables with newer ones. It's like it boots a litle farther each reset until Operational, but according to my dad 2-4 resets. My experience this morning was 2 resets plus the save and exit BIOS restart. I have mentioned this on another forum to see if there were already any remedied fixes nothing yet. The hard part about trying to figure this out is any change made we have to wait 3-4 hours to let the PC cool to the point it seems like it been off over long enough time to see if the change helped or not. I thought if the motherboard had any capacitors that might not take charge at boot and the resetting step builds the charge in a faulty capacitor, since it boots a little farther after each reset. I also thought about pulling PCI cards and wait and see those results, but like i mentioned in previous post he has run the same system setup for 3-4yrs. now. I have already changed his power Supply with a 450W from a 350W about 3 days ago when he called and said that his PC started restarting while on, now he says it doesn't restart while on. And by it freezing up while i was in BIOS I sure it is hardware sided and nothing to do with Windows or software incompatibilty. I also think the reading memory from the 3rd slot only shouldn't cause this if he has run so long with this setup.

White.

White

White

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Update on the memory issued my dad had. I looked real close at when trying to insert the memory modules in the 1st and 2nd slots, and it seems the location of the notch on the slots are a little off towards the PCIslots end of the motherboard, and when previous inserted in 1st and 2nd memory slots the ends would clip in under the clips on each end and arched just enough to the point in the slot where the notch is to not read the memory and boot the system. SO the memory modules weren't getting contact at the notch, so I shifted the modules so the notch area would seat in and then latched the clip at the CPU end of motherboard and and clipped the other clip as far as it would go and now he has his 1024GB SDRAM in 1st and 2nd slots. So maybe kvms can look close at the memory modules and see if the notch area is seated correct, maybe this helps you. I have built 4 PCs and this is the 1st motherboard I have experienced where the notch in the memory slots were off like this just enough to obviously let the BIOS detect a presence and not beep a warning but not seated enough to boot the system.
White

kyms

kyms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
sorry not to come back sooner but I lost my connection for a couple of weeks due to a big storm here ( Portugal ) any how back now.

I have found that the msi board that I have will not run with d.density ram, but will run ok with the single sided stuff o have swapped and all is now ok.

means I can now play with my own pc asus and 64 bit lol.

Thanx all the guys that helped, cheers.