Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

motherboard selection

• Please log in to reply

moose911

moose911

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All,
I am a first time builder, I have a Intel X6800, that I tried to put with a Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe. I have had no luck getting past power up. Did I not pair this up right? I can give all the other specs if needed. Any help or support, would be helpful. Your site is a great place, wish I would have found it sooner.
Moose911

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have downloaded and read the manual for your MB. It says it can run your processor. When you say it powers up, how far does it go? Does it get to the ASUS screen and stop there or does it get past that screen and shows a blank screen. Have you tried getting into the BIOS (Delete key i think)? If you are getting past the Asus screen and the screen sits at a blank screen it might be the hard drive is connected badly or dead. it could also be a memory problem. Without memory the computer will not boot. On your motherboard, between the pci slots, is a light that should be lit if the motherboard is powered up. If this is not lit up then the MB is not getting any power. You may have inadvertenly grounded the motherboard. If pulling all the connections( drives, memory, and power)and reseating them doesn't help it is probably time to pull the MB out of the case and see if you can boot it up on a cardboard box( pizza box). I hook up the following: HD, one stick of memory, power supply, keyboard, mouse, video card, and monitor. Be careful that components cannot slide off and cause problems. See if you can boot up to the asus screen or the bios. If you can get that far then one at a time start hooking up the cdrom drives, extra memory, and anything else your putting in your computer. Between each hardware install, REBOOT, so you can see if that piece of hardware is causing your problem. If you can get the computer to the point where you insert the windows cd and the computer starts to install on the HD, Let it install. You can disassemble it and reinstall the components back into the case afterwards. Be aware that if everything works out of the case then you probably had a MB short to the case. If nothing seems to work then it is time to RMA the motherboard back to where you bought it for a replacement board.

Just for your information, out of 7 Asus computer builds i've done lately 3 mb's have failed on me. So i tend to stay away from asus boards. That seems to be normal with Asus boards. When they work they work great, otherwise they just don't work at all.

SRX660

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Just for your information, out of 7 Asus computer builds i've done lately 3 mb's have failed on me. So i tend to stay away from asus boards. That seems to be normal with Asus boards. When they work they work great, otherwise they just don't work at all.
SRX660

That is very true indeed and right on the dot. There is nothing wrong with asus when they infact work. I stay away from asus myself aswell because I dont want to have a worry about a dead board then have to rma it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

SRX660

That is very true indeed and right on the dot. There is nothing wrong with asus when they infact work. I stay away from asus myself aswell because I dont want to have a worry about a dead board then have to rma it.

what ASUS boards have you had problems with...because my experience with ASUS has been great...the only thing I have had to RMA in the last 15 builds is a OEM version of XP home that refused to load...

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The main issue with Asus boards, at the moment (essentially since PCI-E dropped at the end of last year) is that their first production run in any given series tends to be terrible, and the later runs superb. For example, the M2N32-SLI was not so good, and the M2N32-SLI Deluxe, with a similar pricepoint, was great.

The P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe is a wonderful board, by reports from everyone I've talked to. As to the issue, how far into powerup does it get? Do the fans come on, do you get any beeps from the motherboard, etc?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
my only beef with ASUS is that you WILL have to do several bios updates in the first 6 months or so because they are in such a hurry to be the first to market with any new technology...the solution is...don't be a early adopter

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
my only beef wih asus is their horrible customer service and support, that being said i have had that motherboard and it is awesome I ahve another asus board in my pc now it is awesome. I really hope i dun run out of the good luck i have been having with asus boards, and run into a stretch of like 5 dead boards cause then i would have to hate asus for life.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
well my asus motherboard just died so now i have to hate asus for life, i can't figure it out all of a sudden onboard video fried and main chipsets fried i was like whaaa?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I had some bad luck with Asus boards that use low end chipsets, like SiS (generally, those that have onboard video). There was also a problem with some of the first generation pci-e Asus boards, as they were using chipset fans instead of heat pipes, and the fans died very quickly as they weren't up to the task, causing the chipset itself to fry prematurely.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
i dropped my hard drive on southbridge chipset, broke mobo under chip set chipset heated up to 55 degrees, got new mobo

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
system looks really nice will post picks when i have chance