Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Immediate reboot upon startup, then hangs

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Push power button and the sytem sounds like it is booting, but within 3-4 seconds it shuts down. Then about 3 seconds later, it starts up again by itself and stays running. At no time is there anything visible on the screen. Also, there is no beeps or other diagnostic noises.

At this point, I have;

swapped out the video card then Ram

tested power supply = Good

unplugged CDROM and Hard Drive then powered on

checked to make sure power button was not faulty

I get the same issue every time - no change.

After the pc has rebooted the second time and stays running, I have left it run for 10 minutes with no change. I hit the reset button and the computer does the same thing all over again...starts to boot, shuts down and restarts.

Any ideas....

Advertisements

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Problem solved - I moved the 1 stick of DDR to the second slot. The PC booted right up as normal. Please share this with loved ones. I have been searching the internet for hours and I have not come across anyone else with this issue. Hopefully this helps someone else.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
If your ram was faulty or causing problems, 1 short beep followed contiunously by another would be heard. I suspect this case isn't over yet

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Things are great so far. Computer has not turned on in over a week. Since 5:16pm today I have rebooted the machine 5 times and it comes right on perfect...and never shuts down unless told.

The RAM was not the issue, it was the ram slot. If other problems persist, I will update this thread.