Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly freezes, again!

• Please log in to reply

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Argh, so sorry about that. And this is bewildering enough without the Swedish :whistling: But to tell the truth, this one's confusing me too! I don't have the faintest clue what "SM-busstyrenhet" means, don't think I've ever even heard of that before. I did a quick search on Google for it and got a couple of Swedish forums where people said they were missing that driver and asking for help... Some people replied and said it was called "SMbus" in English (some diagnostic tool, it seemed like), others said it was the driver for the motherboard, and yet others said it was an update utility driver for some Intel chipset. I have no idea.

I do have an MP3 player, an old one, but it's working just fine. I just put it in the USB port to test it in order to be totally certain, and there was no noticeable problem whatsoever.

Like I said, the only driver problem I am aware of (not that that means that there aren't others, but you know what I mean) is the disappearing driver for my external harddrive.

Edited by AnnJS, 28 October 2006 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
Ok wannabe1 asked me to step in about them services I just want to see something then I will give you back to him download Hijackthis from...

http://merijn.org/files/HijackThis.exe

Open Hijackthis click open the misc tools section > check mark List also minor sections (full) and List empty sections (complete) then click generate Startup list log post that log here in a reply.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi there TheRock, thanks for helping out :whistling:

Here's the log:

Attached Files

Edited by AnnJS, 28 October 2006 - 06:48 PM.

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
Hmm don't see them there lets see if this works...

Click start run type cmd hit enter

in the box type the following commands and see what comes up?

sc stop Splsipnia
sc stop Nsvpismal
sc stop Moufe39adr
sc delete Splsipnia
sc delete Nsvpismal
sc delete Moufe39adr

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
After I disabled "Splsipnia" in the Services window my computer ran for a long time without hanging. At first I thought the problem was fixed, and held off on deleting the files like TheRock said, but now it has frozen once... But it's certainly a vast improvement from the frequent freezing there was before, so I checked the event logs to see if it reported something different. And yup, now there's only two errors during the time of freezing (instead of three, like it was before)! So apparently disabling "Splsipnia" helped some, just too bad we couldn't do the same with "Nsvpismal" and "Moufe39adr" :whistling:

I'm gonna give it one more chance, incase that one freeze was just a random and unrelated thing (I highly doubt that, but whatever). If/When it freezes a second time, I'll do what TheRock suggested and see where that leaves us.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Alright, since the computer has been freezing several more times, I just did what TheRock suggested. This is what came up:

When typing in the three "sc stop" commands it told me each time that the service had not been started (and thus couldn't be stopped, I guess). But when typing in the three "sc delete" commands it said "[SC] DeleteService SUCCESS" :whistling:

I looked in the Services window and now both "Splsipnia" and "Moufe39adr" are also gone from the list.

Here's to hoping this did the trick, I'll let you know as soon as I have something to report *crosses fingers*

EDIT: Aw man, I guess it didn't work cause it just froze again. I checked the event log, but now it doesn't report the three errors like it did before. There's no red Xs at all anymore :blink:

Edited by AnnJS, 30 October 2006 - 07:15 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Bummer!

Let it run...or try to...for a day and see if it generates any errors after it has run for a while. Then send me a new WinAudit report. I'm sure we can sort this out...hopefully without replacing the hives. As the problem returned after a year, we need to look for what is bringing this problem on.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Will do!

I wouldn't mind replacing the hives again, if it weren't for the fact that it apparently wasn't a permanent solution to the problem. But say, the "CPU is unworkable" error (that pops up every time I boot up the comp), that couldn't be a factor to the problem, could it? I was just thinking if TheRock's solution had perhaps worked but was being compromised by that odd error... I dunno, I just couldn't help but wonder.

Thanks for sticking with me, buddy. You're really something :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

CPU is unworkable

This error is usually related to the BIOS...the most usual cause is the CMOS battery on the motherboard being dead or close to it. How old is your machine? Have you been getting this error for a long time or is it something that has started recently?

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
The "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU" error started maybe a week or so after the freezing began, so I sorta just figured it had gotten messed up somehow by all the bad shut-downs. I've had my computer for roughly three years, I think. But I'm on it a lot, so perhaps the battery does need changing... It could be worth a try, right? The only reason I'd think it's not the battery is because the same problem showed up last year, and back then we fixed it without any battery-changing. But I dunno.

Anyways, despite several freezings there's still no errors listed in the event log. Still want me to attatch a new WinAudit report?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't see any reason for another WinAudit report at the moment. I think we may be down to a BIOS problem.

The next time you are prompted with that message (CPU is unworkable...), enter the BIOS Soft Menu and see if there is a setting to set the BIOS to "Optimum Defaults". Select that and save the settings (F10)...reboot.

Let me know if the error shows up on subsequent restarts.