Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Artifacts?

• Please log in to reply

twistedone

twistedone

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but I seem to be having problems on a laptop of mine. If you look at the screenshot I have attached you can see what I am talking about. In the top right corner it looks like the color is distorted. I think it might be related to the video card drivers but I'm not positive.

screen.JPG

Advertisements

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I don't see any color distortation. Is the fact the writing on the page appears to be half-cut the problem?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi,welcome to geeks
this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer,
- what os, XP pro or home
- how old is it

to be honest I cannot see what you are talking about from the photo
- how about the graphic card drivers
- what about the monitor

Edited by fleamailman, 18 October 2006 - 04:59 PM.

twistedone

twistedone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm looking at the screen I posted from another computer and it is hard to see it on this one. To answer your question its an IBM Thinkpad R52. It has XP professional on it with SP1, and I just reformatted it a couple of days ago. The video card is a Radeon Mobility x300. The thinkpad has an updating tool that finds any necessary updates needed and the drivers are from there, but I'll try and find some drivers elsewhere.

I guess the best way to describe the problem is that it seems to be blocky towards the top of the screen. If I have a solid color across the top of the screen, it seems like there are bands where the color is not quite consistent. If I adjust it to 32 bit color, it improves uon the problem somewhat, but it is still noticeable.

Edited by twistedone, 18 October 2006 - 05:31 PM.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Since it's becoming less of a problem when you change the settings, visit the Radeon website for the latest driver for your graphic card. If it makes no difference, try your onboard graphics card port. If neither fixes the problem, I'd take a guess in saying there's a problem with your monitor.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
twistedone, thanks for the information
runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste this in slot: devmgmt.msc
- press: enter
do you see any yellow blobs
(means the driver is missing)