Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Imperdimper

Imperdimper

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just purchased some computer parts for a new computer, put them together, and running in to a problem. I think it's a dead motherboard, so writing here to confirm or see if there's some other suggestions. At the bottom of this message will be the specs.

Here's what what makes me think it's a bad motherboard: When I start the computer the processor fan starts, as does the case fan, power supply fan and the bios fan. The DVD drive starts, but only does the initial reading. There is no output to the monitor. The hard drive doesn't respond. The keyboard lights never turn on. And worst of all, the internal speaker never beeps.

I've tried disconnecting everything that isn't important (like the DVD drive, HDD, un-needed PCI cards), still no luck. Also tried throwing in a Linux Live-CD to see if the DVD drive will start reading the disk, but that was a no-go. It did the initial read again, and stayed silent. I've made sure the nuts that the motherboard screws into is in the right places. I'm sure I've tried some other things, but can't recall off hand right now.

Any one have any suggestions, or can confirm that this is indeed a bad motherboard? Replies appreciated.

Imper

Specs:
Motherboard: ECS NFORCE4M-A (V3.0) Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard
Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100119L Radeon X550 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card
Memory: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) System Memory Model VS1GB667D2
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800CUBOX
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Advertisements

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
What motherboard model have you got?
Have you tried using a graphic card, to rule out a problem with the onboard graphic controller?

Also, make sure the cpu heatsink/fan is well secured and thermal paste or a thermal pad is present as some newer motherboard models can detect the pressure of heatsinks and will not boot if a heatsink is not properly installed.
Post back with your findings:)

Imperdimper

Imperdimper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What motherboard model have you got?
Have you tried using a graphic card, to rule out a problem with the onboard graphic controller?

Also, make sure the cpu heatsink/fan is well secured....

The motherboard model is included in the specs in my original post, but here it is again :whistling: ECS NFORCE4M-A (V3.0) Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard

As you'll notice, there is no on-board graphics, but I am using a graphics card... SAPPHIRE 100119L Radeon X550 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card But if the graphics card is bad, then the motherboard should warn me with system beeps. Or better yet, it should beep even if you power up only the motherboard by itself, right?

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention, I tried flipping the processor fan around, no difference. And it is completely secure.
Another Edit: Just tried another power supply, just to knock that out of the equation.

Edited by Imperdimper, 18 October 2006 - 06:58 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No beeps usually means the motherboard won't power up. Think its time to RMA the motherboard for a new one. Heres a good site on beep error codes.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

I rarely build a computer up without testing it on a pizza box anymore. i setup with PS, HD, one stick of memory, video card (if needed), ps2 mouse & keyboard, and monitor. If i cant get to the bios the Mb is RMA'ed back. I had 4 dead Mb's that took more time to find the problems than 20 other computers built during the same month.

SRX660

Imperdimper

Imperdimper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, now I'm assuming that it isn't the motherboard. I ordered a new motherboard, different than the original one, threw it in, and found the same problem addressed above.

Unless this powersupply is zapping these boards upon connection, I have no idea. Can a dead processor cause a motherboard to not power up?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Imper

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Can a dead processor cause a motherboard to not power up?

Yes.

The quickest troubleshooting solution is to unplug everything bar the power cables from the board and take out the memory. With no memory installed, 99% of computers will beep at you if the processor/board is working. Repeat with a known working power supply. Therefore if there is no beeps even with no memory, suspect board or processor not working. As the system is doing the same thing on two different boards, the only option it leaves is a duff processor. Either that or the processor isn't seated properly.