Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major problems...XP

• Please log in to reply

Snoot

Snoot

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi... i wonder if someone could help with my XP problem. Not quite sure how this happened, but my system is acting very strange. Hardly any applications are working anymore. I think it was since my last update, all these problems have appeared. I updated and restarted as needed... then i was requested to activate windows which i did successfully. Now when it starts up i get taken to a logon prompt asking for my user name and password which wasn't there before. I had no password set so not much of a problem but... strange. Now when windows starts up... it no longer picks up my radeon 9800 graphics card at all (even though other infomation software sees it as there) , a number of applications either don't start when i click them or in the case of IE7.... creates a shorcut for IE7 on the desktop when i click it. Other apps open an MSDOS command box briefly then vanishes with nothing else. Norton Password manager and Windows Deffender bring up Failed to initialize errors on start up, Certain control pannel items don't work.. eg. Add or remove programs does nothing at all now. The list goes on.

I tried to repair the registry with Registry Mechanic and it found about 3000 errors and repaired them but it's done nothing. I'm wondering if it's become corrupt. Considering doing a XP repair from my original CD (which also comes up as "wrong copy" within windows when i tried to check and verify system files which is even stranger)Any advice would be appreciated on the best course of action as i've been on about 3 nights now and i'm getting no where fast. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Check Microsoft update for a .net framework service pack and then a hotfix

Snoot

Snoot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've tried system restore from the command prompt within safe mode. System restore appears to be not functioning now. The window is opening but just a blank box. Originaly i tried to restore to as far back as august from within normal running windows but with no change, the basic settings reverted but all the problems remained. Even Restore from within normal running windows has now ceased working. Its frustrating as other than the problems, windows appears to be working fine (well no Blue screens or the likes). What other options do i have?.

Thanks for your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This takes a couple of hours because all windows updates have to be downloaded, though if you put the two hours against trying a few things and waiting for replies, a repair install is probably the most convenient. It will leave your existing data and programmes as is, though make sure you have everything required to run the repair

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Snoot

Snoot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok... done it. Things are certainly running a lot better now and it's ironed out most of the problems.... like i can now access device manager to sort out the graphics card problem. The only issues that are left after XP repair are that i still can not access windows update through IE, it just locks up the open box which has to be shut down through the Windows task manager. IE6 runs fine though on normal application. I've got to figure a way of updateing my XP to sP2 etc... I'm going to try and download IE7 to see if that will sort out the problems.

Thank you very much.... you saved me one [bleep] of a lot of work, all my business payroll software is on this PC and thats running fine now. (that could of been a complete nightmare) Your help has been much appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how you get on with IE7

You can download most things here

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

Though if you have broadband then this is worth a look

http://autopatcher.c...06_ENU_Full.exe

Then

http://autopatcher.c..._ENU_Update.exe

Which will give the updates

Snoot

Snoot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
All running smoothly again now.... all patched without a problem. The only other thing that i can think may of caused this problem is a freeware registry cleaner i used. Guess i'll be more carefull in future. Thank you.