Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD ROM SR-8171 Matishita DRVIER WANTED

• Please log in to reply

darkcrimson

darkcrimson

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Is there a DVD ROM SR-8171 Matishita DRVIER for "WINDOWS ME"?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello darkcrimson...

This drive should be supported by ME's native drivers. Are you sure your problem is driver related?

wannabe1

darkcrimson

darkcrimson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm pretty sure that the DVD rom drive is missing a driver. In the device manager, the DVD rom is currently runing as a ordinary CD drive. It also said that the dirver for the drive was not avalible. I tried running a Gate Way recovery disc on the hardware drivers' section but it doesn't seem to have it. Yep. I'm sure that the problem is driver related.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I'm pretty sure that the DVD rom drive is missing a driver. In the device manager, the DVD rom is currently runing as a ordinary CD drive. It also said that the dirver for the drive was not avalible. I tried running a Gate Way recovery disc on the hardware drivers' section but it doesn't seem to have it. Yep. I'm sure that the problem is driver related.

Windows 98 and ME have no way of knowing whether the unit is a CD/DVD Writer/ROM. It will just claim that they are normal CD units. They also don't need any special drivers either.

This operation is normal under these versions of Windows. There is nothing wrong with your computer. To find out, load a copy of PowerDVD or whatever and put a playable DVD in.

Edited by Neil Jones, 19 October 2006 - 02:50 PM.

darkcrimson

darkcrimson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
My computer operating system is ME; I tryed to play a playable DVD on my computer and still it doens't work for some reason. It said it's unable to find the DVD Navigator.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you using any software such as Power DVD? ME doesn't have the codecs for DVD, that would have to come from a third party software. So far as I know, the codecs are not available as a free download. You might also try downloading the free trial of Nero 7 from their website to see if that makes a difference.