Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not burn CD

• Please log in to reply

bbrown4

bbrown4

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have Dell Dimension 8250 and my kids have been burning cds for quite some time using windows media player. Now all of the sudden the cd burner stopped working. It keep giving them an error message that the speed is too fast or change media. The cd burner is a NEC DVD+RW ND_1100A. I have reduce the speed and changed media several times and have had no luck with the burner working. My kids says the problem may have started when I loaded an antivirus and ez firewall to protect my computer. So I decided to restore my computer to an earlier time. Well it still did not work. I have spoken with Dell technicians and they were not able to help me either.

Can someone please help before my kids drive me crazy?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
This possibly happened because the other applications have disabled the Windows OS recording function.
Go to the “My computer” and click right on the CD/DVD drive. There please select the properties.
Choose the tab “Recording” and enable the option “enable CD recording on this drive”

bbrown4

bbrown4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
kniht,

The enable option for CD recording on this drive is already enabled. Any other solutions?

Thank you for your reply.

bbrown4

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Do you get any error codes or does the burner just sit there and does nothing?

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hey there,

seems like a stock question but it's a simple one. Have you tried to reinstall or update windows media player?

If not give it a try. There are many, many free apps that have the same if not more functionality...

one example that springs to mind is jetaudio - that is a very robust player - in that it can handle all media types and is also a burner (in my opinion far far better than the one you are trying to make work and is freeware (not beta)

link; http://www.filehippo...nload_jetaudio/

Hope that helps

Stevie

:whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before installing any software, let's look at a couple of things.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

bbrown4

bbrown4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Wannabe1

The regedit filters are listed with the following data:

Upperfilters - Cdralw2k
GEARAspiWDM

Lowerfilters - Pfc

Thank you for your reply.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Name this file clsidold[b] and save it to your desktop.

Then right click on LowerFilter and choose "Delete"....accept the change. Do the same with UpperFilter.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Does your cd drive now work?

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Did it work?

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Did it work?

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Did it work?

thedeej

thedeej

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Wannabe1, I had the same problem as bbrown4, and had the same question as unpluggedsb ("did it work?"), so I tried it. I am glad to say that it appears to have worked for me. Thanks very much for the advice.