Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Johnny Castaway Screensaver

• Please log in to reply

taggs

taggs

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Guys,

It may be nothing...but... I downloaded the Johnny Castaway screensaver through Firefox. I decided not to run the exe file (so it isn't even installed on my system) and tried to delete it almost immediately after download. Windows XP is coming up with a message stating that the file is being used by another program. I closed all programs and still the message comes up - even after a reboot. Any ideas? Any help appreciated.

Cheers!

Advertisements

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Taggs,

You can try this....it works for me on a lot of files....

Click Start and Run in the box type CMD and hit enter. Now type attrib -r and the name of your file, it would look like this...attrib -r myfile.exe. Hit enter. You should be able to open or edit the file. If you can't delete it, put in your Windows CD and boot from it. Start recovery console and type del and the name of your file and hit enter. It should be gone. Take out the CD and boot normally.

Also...even though you didn't install it manually...just in case is somehow it installed automatically..you can do this...

You can remove him if you got him from anywhere but screensavers by deleting the folder (directory) C:\SIERRA\SCRANTIC and its contents, and the files SCRANTIC.INI and SCRANTIC.SCR from the Windows directory. To remove the screensavers version, delete JohnCast.001, JohnCast.ini, JohnCast.map & JohnCast.scr, all in the Windows directory.

Hope this helps...

Jrenter2

Edited by Jrenter2, 18 October 2006 - 10:36 PM.

taggs

taggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
It worked using attrib -r. I also deleted it from the command line. Excellent. Never thought about using the cmd.

First time its happened to me but I take it subborn files happens a lot

Thanks.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Taggs,

You're Welcome. Glad to here that your problem is resolved. :whistling: