Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless router/modem troubles

• Please log in to reply

RJ7887

RJ7887

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hello
i just bought a modem/router in one linksys wireless G cable gateway unit
i got it working, but randomly is starts blinking... on the DS, US, Online lights on the front of the router itself.
when those start blinking, i lose connection.. im still connected to the router but i can not get internet access
any ideas on how i could fix this or even what the problem is would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Advertisements

RJ7887

RJ7887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
no help? or no ideas on the problem?

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Have you got a manual for the router? If not, have you looked on the manufacturers website for one, or at least at their Support section, this is bound to be covered in detail there.

RJ7887

RJ7887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
i dont think its going to cover what it does.. ill look tho.

it looks like the router just automatically reset when im downloading too many things. seems weird for it to do that seeing as thats its purpose in life

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
We all have purposes in life. But some of us suck at life and don't succeed. Maybe you should hit it with a hammer and see if it hits back?

RJ7887

RJ7887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
great idea, thanks for your expertise

RJ7887

RJ7887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
great idea, thanks for your expertise

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Hello
i just bought a modem/router in one linksys wireless G cable gateway unit
i got it working, but randomly is starts blinking... on the DS, US, Online lights on the front of the router itself.
when those start blinking, i lose connection.. im still connected to the router but i can not get internet access
any ideas on how i could fix this or even what the problem is would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Just a quick question first: are you able to connect to the internet using a different modem? If you can, then your Linksys is the problem. Otherwise, it might be problems with your ISP or the physical line into your home/office/wherever.

Secondly, if all is good there, are you running the latest firmware for the modem/router? My modem/router (Netgear) would occasionally stuff up out of the box, but as soon as I updated to the latest firmware, problems went down the drain...

RJ7887

RJ7887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
i dont think ive updated the firmware. i will try that out.
i dont have another modem, when i went to Frys to get a modem and a router, i saw that they had a 2in1.. so i got that. it works great until i have too much activity.
ill check out the firmware and get back to you.
thanks for the help, my internet skills are rusty since i havent had my own connection since i lived with my parents like 3 years ago

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

i dont think ive updated the firmware. i will try that out.
i dont have another modem, when i went to Frys to get a modem and a router, i saw that they had a 2in1.. so i got that. it works great until i have too much activity.
ill check out the firmware and get back to you.
thanks for the help, my internet skills are rusty since i havent had my own connection since i lived with my parents like 3 years ago

If the firmware update doesn't resolve anything, I've just thought of two more things:

1) How hot does the unit run? If they are a bit warm, they can stuff up a lot;

2) Do you use P2P programs? Depending on what program you use, it might cause a bit of mayhem also. I tried using BitTorrent once, but it started running really weird, so I had to reboot the router and uninstall BitTorrent. At the moment, LimeWire works pretty good though...

Advertisements

RJ7887

RJ7887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
went to the website, and it didnt allow me to download firmware, so i assume that is not the problem.
i did download the drivers, but i dont know were to download it too, its not an install file or anything. different than other drivers ive installed before.
i use limewire, seems to be fine when downloading one and two things, but once i get it really going it cant handle it.
i have a buddy who also uses the connection with me, and together its even easier to shut it off.
it looks like the modem/router is just reseting it self.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

went to the website, and it didnt allow me to download firmware, so i assume that is not the problem.
i did download the drivers, but i dont know were to download it too, its not an install file or anything. different than other drivers ive installed before.
i use limewire, seems to be fine when downloading one and two things, but once i get it really going it cant handle it.
i have a buddy who also uses the connection with me, and together its even easier to shut it off.
it looks like the modem/router is just reseting it self.

What is the exact model name/number for it?

What version firmware do you have at the moment?

What is the exact name of the "driver" file you are talking about (including extension)? I'm pretty sure you don't need 'drivers' for a modem/router, maybe this is the firmware file?

RJ7887

RJ7887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
WCG200 Version 2 Wireless-G Cable Gateway
http://www.linksys.c...u=1138056788757

thats the website i went too to get the firmware, but its not a link, and i can only download a driver.
but like you said, ive never needed a driver for a router.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

WCG200 Version 2 Wireless-G Cable Gateway
http://www.linksys.c...u=1138056788757

thats the website i went too to get the firmware, but its not a link, and i can only download a driver.
but like you said, ive never needed a driver for a router.

I see, the driver is for a computer which connects to the router via USB. If you don't have this type of connection, you won't need this at all. It looks like Linksys have not issued any updated firmwares as yet, maybe that's why it's greyed out. I'm assuming you have completely read through the user manual? It's fairly comprehensive, and explains a few important options such as DHCP servers and chapter 5 looks pretty important (configuring the gateway).

Also, how new is the unit? If it's still under warranty, you should be able to get free support. The very last page of the user manual has some contact options, possibly try contacting them directly.

RJ7887

RJ7887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
unit is brand new, just got it like a week or 2 ago. i know how to setup the unit, its basically plug and play. atleast thats how every other unit i have had in the past was. i will contact them and see what i can get. thanks for your time, i will let you know what they tell me.