Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless router/modem troubles

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I strongly suggest that you work through the user's manual and properly set-up the unit as to your specifications. I know that some do work straight out of the box, but it's always best to set it up as you want it. For example, if you have two wired connections only, make sure to turn wireless off etc... Also, a number of units come with security turned off by default.

Anyway, let me know.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
HaHa your in luck... my specialty... Cable Gateways that is: the Flashing DS and US lights are the indicators for the two seperate types of signal from your gateway.

DS stands for Downstream and that would be the Signal that is being pulled from the world wide web into your router.

US stand for Upstream and that would be the Signal that you send to the World Wide Web.

Bad News and Good News on this though. :whistling:

Good News 1st - it is not a defective Gateway, nor a Bad PC, nor a bad Network Card, nor anything on your side.

Bad News last - the signal coming from your ISP is either way too high or way too low. Generally the forward data carier (Downstream) signal is too low meaning it is hovering around a -10DbMv or lower causing it to lose connectivity.... and also .... the return Transmit (Upstream) is too high meaning that your gateway is having to overcompensate and push too hard to broadcast its transmission back to your ISP, generally caused by bad cable, too many splitters, house amps, or just plain old Noise in the line.

Take it form someone who knows, if your having this problem call your ISP and schedule a Service call, as there is nothing you can do to fix this problem, except wait and hope it gets better, which usually means your left with intermittent substandard service.