Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

f2-f5 show up as ctr+n , ctrl+o etc.

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
In a new game I purchased it asks me to use a lot of the F# keys. I quickly realized that most of my F keys don't work. I downloaded a keyboard testing program that shows a map of a keyboard and shows what you are pressing, every time I press one of the F buttons a complete other shortcut will show up on the keyboard map. For example when I press F4 the map shows that I am press CTRL+S at the same time.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? it looks like all of my keys are showing up correctly on the program except the F#'s which are the ones I need to be working!

By the way, it a really new keyboard so I don't think that is the problem.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Just to clarify all of the top F keys are not working except for F1 and F6, all of the other ones show up like I am pressing CTRL and something else. I am really confused by how this would happen.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it
- have you tried repair with XPcd
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
On my keyboard I have a key marked "F-Lock" which toggles the function of the F# keys. Do you have a key that might be similar?
Johanna

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Ok here ya go:

Flea: its custom built, xp pro sp2 all updates, just got the computer two months ago and bought this keyboard at the same time. i have had another keyboard exactly like this though and no problems like this at all. i would try repairing but i bought the computer used and it came with no disc for the OS.

Johanna: i checked all over and can't find any button like you mention, i did notice that one of the lights on the bottom for for features such as num lock, and caps lock is on. the light is on under an icon that look like a quotation mark with one side of the quotation pointing up and the other down. i don't think it's related to the f keys at all, but i figured i would let you guys know everything!

thanks

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I'd really like to play this new game, this problem is killing me!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
ok this one has me stumped and I am not giving up
let me talk to myself a bit

questions
- you have tried another keyboard and you get the same problem =
- you remember when exactly this problem started and which game you were playing =
- you have looked at the underneath of the keyboard for the make and model number to check the maker's site for details or special keys =
- you have thought about system restore =

Edited by fleamailman, 20 October 2006 - 12:53 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I think you need to toggle the functions of those F keys somehow. The functions they are performing describe the alternate functions common to those keys. Have a look in your control panel under "keyboard & mouse", check your device manager to see if you need any drivers, look up your keyboard brand on Google for an "owner's manual" or swap the keyboard with someone who never uses F# keys??

Johanna