Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help...cannot right click on desktop and System Restore is disa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BReal59

BReal59

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi there
can someone please help, I am experiencing difficulties with my computer. I am unable to right click on the desktop, my search menu is missing form the start menu and i can no longer restore the computer to an earlier time.
Before I was unable to open the Windows task manager but I went into safe mode and that it is no longer a problem. Can someone help me please?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Breal59

i can no longer restore the computer to an earlier time

Did you try system restore in safe mode?
I think you might have to take a trip to Malware
Start here

BReal59

BReal59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I tried system restore in safe mode but it did not work, I can also not get anything to load under the run command aside from ipconifg. My registry editor has been disabled by the administrator.

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Are you the administrator?
If so, login on the Administrator account.
If you don't know how:
When you get to the login screen, where you select your account, do CTRL+ALT+DEL. TWICE.
Then as Username type "Administrator"
and as password, try empty.
See if you can do the stuff you need to do with the Administrator account.

BReal59

BReal59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I could only log on as the Administrator in the safe mode. I was able to right click on the desktop under the administrator name in the safe mode.

BReal59

BReal59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
HijackThis log removed. Certainly not clean. ~~ Metallica

ok guys that is my hijackfile log what should i do from this?

Edited by Metallica, 19 October 2006 - 08:23 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
go to the link I showed you
Start here
Click on me
If they give you a clean bill of health then come back here

BReal59

BReal59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
it says that I need to re enable System Restore before doing any scans and I cannot re enable System Restore. Is there any way to do it from MsConfig?
Anyways, I completed Ad Aware and it found no infections, AVG Anti Spyware infections were deleted, I have also tried a McAfee system scan, a disk cleanup, disk defragmentator and ATF Cleaner and I am still unable to right click and utilise System Restore.
So basically the answer must be in the Hijack log file above.

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Post this in the malware removal section like peterm has been suggesting. I see some entries that jump out at me as being suspicious, but the experts over in malware removal need to analyze the log fully and tell you what to fix.

BReal59

BReal59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
where can I post it?! that section that you gave me the link to has been closed.

Advertisements

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Sorry, that link is the must read before posting a log, my bad. :whistling: http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html should take you to the lobby of the malware forum. Read through and follow the steps in that first link before posting your log in a new thread though.

BReal59

BReal59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
how do i get into the group policy editor without using the Run command? beacuse at the moment it will not load the group policy editor from the run command.

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Start-->Programs-->Administrative Tools-->Local Security Policy. I know that works for XP Pro, not positive about HE. For Group Policy, you need to have the server tools installed.

BReal59

BReal59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
how do i install the server tools?

BReal59

BReal59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
i think that i need to get into the registry editor but i am unable to. I get the notice ''registry editor has been disabled by your administrator'' when i type in regedit in the run command.