Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan Lag

• Please log in to reply

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
This happens for anything like games or watching something fullscreen. When my fan starts or stops, my computer will freeze for about a second, or in the case of Starcraft, it will lag for a second. Sometimes, for things like the Media Center will cause my computer to freeze over completely, not allowing me to do absolutely anything but to manually turn off my computer. I do not know if these two things are related, because I don't pay attention to the fan turning on and off except when I'm playing Starcraft.

I would like to tackle this problem at its root. If there is something I can fix software wise, please tell me that first. If I happen to need to upgrade my hardware, please tell me what hardware I would need to upgrade.

Advertisements

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
What are your system specs?
Ram, clockspeed, etc.

If it's an AMD, check if it has Cool'n'Quiet enabled.
If so, disable it.

If you tell me your system specs, I might be able to pinpoint the cause.

Granz00

Granz00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Speed: 2914.4 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: RADEON 9200 | RADEON 9200 SEC | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport |
CD / DVD Drives: E: HP DVD Writer 400c | K: ASUS CD-S480/AH |
Default Printer: Canon i550
COM Ports: COM1 | COM3 |
LPT Ports: LPT1 |
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 142.7GB | D: 6.3GB |
Hard Disks - Free: C: 51.4GB | D: 1.1GB |
USB Controllers: Detected: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Detected: 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: DQ170A-ABA M470N
Serial Number: MXK4041NQ8 NA470
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 12/12/03 | A M I - 12000312 | |
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard:
Modems:

I copied and pasted this from Sysspec

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you can download and install SpeedFan to check your fan and voltage settings. It sounds like your system is overheating and that is why it is freezing.

Granz00

Granz00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Is there a way I can fix the problem using speedfan without it running all the time? Overheating sounds like it would be a likely problem. I dont think I would have enough room to better cool down my computer without building a new one.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
If this is a desktop, then the fans will run all the time, that is the way they are setup unless you implement a fan controller.

The best option would be to replace the existing fans with ones that move more air. This measurement is called cfm.

here is an example of a fan with a 3 position switch: http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=75080

the more cfm you move, the more air is being circulated causing your pc to run cooler.

using speedfan, look at the middle section when its first launched. It will list rpm's for the fans it does detect. On the right side it will display tempetures. It would be helpful to know this info.

Edited by starjax, 23 October 2006 - 08:02 AM.

Granz00

Granz00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Fan 1: 847 RPM
Fan 2: 2214 RPM
And they are both running at 55%.

My computer seems to be at a good temperature right now yet it still froze on me when watching a video. Any financial fixes might have to wait until Christmas or later though.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hey Granz00

You might not have enough RAM to do what your doing I know because this used to happen to me i just got more RAM
And get diff fans

Edited by Jazza, 27 October 2006 - 06:38 PM.

Granz00

Granz00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I do admit that 512 MB is seeming to become the new minimum for some things, and I have always been thinking about getting more ram. I guess I'll make that a christmas gift unless I can get a job and afford it before then.