Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Not Working! Please HELP!

• Please log in to reply

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
So just the other day my internet stopped working. I thought out maybe the connection is bad so i replaced the cord. Still nothing. Checked the connection on another computer is worked, so it lead me to believe that it was something inside the computer. My next thing was to run a virus scan which i did so and boy was I surprised to see how much stuff had come up on my computer. After deleting all the viruses and spyware, I thought okay it should work now. But still nothing. I even defrag the computer and still nothing. I've been racking my brain but I cant come up with anything else to try. Please someone help. Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Cable/DSL or dial up? XP sp1 or sp2?

You said the problem began BEFORE the spyware cleanup

Well, even if that is the case...download and run the following

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ive got SP2 on the computer, and I ran the program that you said download but nothing happened. Ive run the PC Doctor on the computer and a virus scan and they both come up clear. No Virus' and no spyware. And since the computer cant get online I dont see anything new downloading on to it.

I got to internet explorer and it tells me its logging on to a site, then I get

connecting to badurlinteractive.com on the status bar

Could there be something Im not catching?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

May have to repair your WinSock.  Are you on a cable modem, dial-up modem or what?  If you are just using your browser to go online than the dial up connection setup may be incorrect or corrupted.  IE is trying to connect to something it can't resolve.

Got more ideas, but will wait for your PM.

Ron

Ive got cable modem. Ive run the virus programs and theres no viruses on the computer, so I know its not that but maybe the virus missed up some files. When i ran WinSock nothing happened. Ive got mozilla fox and internet explorer but i dont think there interupting each other. So what do i do if I have to fix the problem your refering to?

Thanks for the response i look forward to hearing more of you ideas

I understand you have Win XP with Service Pack 2 now. Since you are using a cable modem, there may be a problem with Internet Explorer.

1) There is a Win XP Utility to repair IE in XP. I would try this first. See this link for instructions : IE Fix Utility. Admin also has good information on this : Repair Internet Explorer 6.0.

or

2) Are you having same problem with Mozilla browser or just IE? Probably should have asked this first.

Ron

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Try this little tool:

http://www.frontiern...insockxpFix.exe
It fixes the sockets, host files en internet ip settings

It might fix it

Rik

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Can you ping outside ??
try opening a command line (box)
( click start --> click Run ---> type CMD --> hit enter)

in that commandbox type:

ping 130.161.178.1

does it give you a reply? or a time out ?

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I can ping to an outside line. And the internet comes on now. But theres always an error. I got rid of SP2 but the internet always seems to have a critcal error and wants me to close all the windows. Im on a cable modem connection. Is there something im doing wrong. I thought I had fixed it but i guess not. Please help

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
this is what the error always says. I have no idea what it means, so maybe someone else could break it down for me, and we can get this problem hammered out.

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2600.0 ModName: mshtml.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2600.0 Offset: 0010b30b

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That is somewhat vague....It means that the module mshtml.dll is causing an error....the is the dynamic link library that IE uses to render hypertext markup language...basically, websites.

I say vague because it leaves a lot open...the fact you used some spyware removal software also leads me to believe something may be left.

Did you post a hijackthis log in the malware forum?

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
no i didnt post in a hjackthis in the malware forum. I dont even know what it means but if you could tell me how to get it. i could post the whole thing in the malware forum or even here for that matter.

The two spyware programs i have on my comp now are Ad-aware and AVG Control Center. recnetly this powerscan program popped up but i didnt dl it. I dont know were it came from and its not on the Add/Remove programs list.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

no i didnt post in a hjackthis in the malware forum. I dont even know what it means but if you could tell me how to get it. i could post the whole thing in the malware forum or even here for that matter.

The two spyware programs i have on my comp now are Ad-aware and AVG Control Center. recnetly this powerscan program popped up but i didnt dl it. I dont know were it came from and its not on the Add/Remove programs list.

View Post

Go to :

Read This Before Posting a Hijack This Log

Please follow directions carefully and post log at :

Malware Removal

R.